Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Performance Help

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  scagle1 
#1 ·
Im pretty new into diesels and and still trying to grasp everything and get a solid footing. I have an 02 F250 and am looking into getting better performance out of my truck. Im lifting her 6" on 37s. I drive about 45 miles to work each day so I am looking for a programer/chip to get better mileage but would like to have the extra power when I need it. I dont want to install one thing before I should have installed another if that makes sense. What Im asking is what are some of the first things I should start looking into getting. Secondly what brands/models of performance parts would you guys with experience suggest that I go with? Im soon coming off of a deployment so Im looking into getting the most for my money that Ive saved up.:woot: Thanks for any and all help you guys have to offer!!

#3 ·
Thanks A lot Tony. Do you have any advice on brands of these parts. Right now Im trying to get as much info from my buddies aswell as guys on this site. Theres a lot of info out there and it sounds like a lot of personal preference. Im curious as to what exactly guys are preferring these days and their reasons why

#4 ·
I second what Tony says. Tuner will make your truck wake up big time!!

#6 ·
I think Tonys order above is the best. Gauges, intake and exhaust, chip. I just ordered a PHP FU 6 position chip and I went with them because I can change the tunes as I want from my computer and have never read a bad thing about their products or service.
You might want to talk to Raul@stealthautomotive, Im sure he could get you everything you need in one order.

#8 · (Edited)
Intake, Exhaust, Gauges, Chip....like Mikey's250 said---Raul@stealthautomotive.com has everything you need. I think you will find on here that for the 7.3 most people prefer Tony Wildman or DP-Tuner for chip. Having basically the same setup as what your looking for i personally did my lift and tires , went and had the muffler cut out and just straight piped the factory exhaust ( 3 1/2 inch pipe vs a complete setup of 4" for XXX amount of $$ to see the same egt's) Diy intake it (fleetfilter.com has the 6637 pretty cheap) installed the gauges and a John Wood Valve Body(would highly reccomend doing something to the tranny as they are weak) at the same time and ordered chip from Jody. Dont know if it made a big difference in this order but the chip was burnt to the way the truck was set-up and performed awesome and i averaged about 16 mpg going 75ish on an 80 mile per day, daily commute.

dont forget the overboost annihalator as well !!

#11 ·
if you can afford the bank on a tranny just go ahead and rebuild with BTS...otherwise ITP sells the JWVB for 225... thought i read once upon a time about a different torque converter...DUNNO ?? was pretty happy with the valve body itself

#15 ·
Well Im not a fan of DP cuase of some of the stories i've heard. Now tuners I would recomend would be Beans, BTS, PHP and Cales at BTS. If you start modding your trans go with BTS parts. The converter that is good i the Precision industries converter its very nice.

#16 ·
What have you heard about the DP? Im not exactly waiting to send out an order so Im still open to all suggestions! As I stated in an earlier post I and still fairly new to the game so right now I am trying to take in as much info from you guys with experience in the products. Im just looking into exhaust, chip, intake and then from what Im gathering it would be wise to beef up my tranny soon after? The hard part for me is figuring out which brands to go with where I will get the most for my money that will last.

#17 ·
Well if you search DP there is a big discussion about the tunes cracking blocks becuase of the high timing. Now I dont know this from personal experience at all, but I've read a lot and have no reason to make anything up. exhaust dont really matter what brand just find one you like and buy it. intake you should just do ur own for like 40 bucks. gauges there is many kinds and they are all pretty good.

#18 ·
Well if you search DP there is a big discussion about the tunes cracking blocks becuase of the high timing.

Must say....have only been on here for a year and half or so but have never once heard anything of the such and mine works great. Would be curious what folks were doing when they cracked the block ????

#20 ·
well scagle for you being on here a year and only have under 200 post you must not be on a whole lot... Im not trying to start anything at all im just saying what i've read and plenty of others on here would back me up. Last I heard it was the 80e tune that was doing it.

#21 ·
Nope your right...am strictly on here for the information at hand not to chit-chat. I am just saying that the majority of folks on here seem to recommend DP or TW for 7.3 tunes. I dont know why folks would recommend a tuner that would destroy your motor unless maybe they just have no idea what they are talking about , so i will read more on the DP......mine has worked flawlessly for the entire time i have had it and 95% of my driving is in the 80economy tune with lots of hard accelerating ut maybe ive just been lucky.Off to read i guess as i dont wanna be the only misinformed .org member

As for the regearing i personally never felt a need for gears....truck has enough ooompf to roast the tires from a stop and when in the 120race tune will hang beside a fellow members 6.0 on 35's running an SCT with box tunes , from a start till the numbers dissapear on the speedometer he might get a half a length.

#22 · (Edited)
You have 3.73's or 4.10's??
Im going to get some 35's for my truck (with 3.73's) and Im curious as to how the truck will feel after.
Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.