Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

what to get for dp tuner

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DJM 
#1 ·
i am looking for a tuner for my 2000 7.3l and was looking at the dp tuner there are alot of choices so what r u guys running. i will only be towing 2000-4000 pounds very occasionly and will snow plow all winter. also is the ts chip any better than the dp tuner.... thanks guys

#3 ·
IMO the TS style chip is better then DP style because you can have different tuners put there burns on to a TS Style chip and with DP you are stuck with what DP has and that is it.

Also I think the there are some better tuners out there that tune for the TS Style

Good luck

#4 ·
Careful Charlie. DP Tuner/TS Style chip can be a heated conversation around here. Bottom line is, get a custom tuned chip and gauges to monitor the truck's vitals. A TS chip is still a generic chip that is not setup exactly for your truck. There are several sponsors on here that can help you out. Personally, I have a DP and am super pleased with it.

#6 ·
Agreed. I, myself, am a newb here and even I know that the arguments between DP and TS chips get really heated. There are pros and cons for both (like all things) but probably one of the most advantageous percs about the TS chips is that it allows several tuners to play with it, where as the DP Tuner chip only allows DP tunes.

Personally, I really like the DP Tuner and am going to go with that one when I get my chip (which will come after exhaust, intake, gauges, etc)... If you haven't already done those modifications first, I would def do those. Especially the gauges... those are a must before you start messing with the engine! :nod:

#10 · (Edited)
Have you had anything other than a DP Tuner??? And im not talking some junk edge or super chips. I'm talking a TS Style chip with custom tunes???

To be honest. If you haven't then you really can't comment on these threads on witch you like or the pro's or con's of each other.

Sharing experiences and why you like one product over another is why we have forums and everything correct. So why is it every time someone says something negative about DP Tuner or anything like that its always the people that don't know any better that have never tried anything else that throw a fit? Are you mad that you can't try something else? Or afraid that if you do you might like it better and all your other DP Tuner buddies will have a fit at you LOL

When it all comes down to it its preference not one is "Better" than the other. Its about what tuner you and your truck likes. It just pisses me off when people start in on how great a product is when thats all they know.

Its comments like yours the make these threads go to sh!t

#14 ·
DId I ever say you must get a DP tuner NO. I said you can't go wrong with either one TS style or DP. I never once said go with DP I was giving my opinion if he did decide to go with DP. I never bashed on either one get the facts strait.
Anyways back to the main purpose of the thread the guy want's help on a decision of a tuner.

Yes you have more options with a TS style chip so you can try lots of different peoples tunes. DP only Jody can make the tunes for you. SO prety much with the TS style if you don't like the way so and so made the tunes you can try out somebody else.

#11 ·
To be honest, I think what makes these threads go to "sh!t" is when someone starts ranting and raving about why they don't like a particular tuner and how everyone that likes them are just stupid.

Personally, I say that's exactly what these forums are for is so people can give their personal experiences with different parts, tuners, etc. Not everybody has to use more than one tuner to make up their mind and decide which one to stick with.

I don't feel like spending the money to try out 3 or 4 different tuners. I like my DP Tuner and I have been given no reason to think I need to try another tuner. Mine works great.

To me one advantage of the DP Tuner is being able to email tunes and not have to remove the chip and drive around without it for a week or two. How can you possibly argue that is not an advantage. Sure, I will probably only need a few tunes. But if i upgrade my truck in any other way, all I have to do is call or email Jody and he can email the new tunes to me.

But yes, in a perfect world the only people that reply to threads are those that are smarter than others, have more experience, and are just better people.

#12 ·
The fact that Jody can email tunes is cool but there are other tunes that do that with the TS style chip also.

I agree if you have a tuner and like it then there is really no reason to change. BUT many of them people think its the best thing out there and no one else it better when they hadnt even tried anything else. That is what I dont like to see.

#13 ·
I agree. If someone out there says their tuner is the best out there without trying anything else that may be considered misleading.

For me, I am not looking for the BEST. I wanted some improved fuel economy and a little extra when i mash the skinny pedal. For what I want, what I have is great.

As far as I can tell, all of the tuner/sponsors on this website have great things to offer. So I am in no position to say the TS Style custom chips are not badass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.