Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

$20,000

6K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  rollincoalmt 
#1 ·
hey guys i was wondering i have in mind for my truck a 20,000 budget for motor and trans what kind of hp would i be looking at with out nitrious/propane

#2 ·
do you ahve any hipo parts already or is this from the ground up? with a 20k budget for engine, trans and hipo parts, you might not have much if any left over after an engine and trans.

engine 10-15k (depending on how extreme you go)
trans 4k
fuel system 1000
injectors 3-4k
turbo and mounting kit 3k
or if you want twins 6k+
misc crap 2k

I had over 30k in performance crap on my truck when it sold, but it has more than whats available to 99% of the people since it tested parts for several companies.

#10 ·
:agree: Easy to make those numbers with that kind of coin.

#4 ·
i found a long block from *** for 15600 and i was going to build my own twin system since in certified in tig i was just gonna buy the chargers and i have a stage 2 ats trans in it now i believe it would hold up i was mainly going for some where between 550-600hp

#5 ·
I know of an ATS stage 3 (or star? However they are rated) that gave up under stock AD's.

If it was me, I would call David, Beans, swamps, or *** and tell them what you are looking for. You could get away with ALOT of money saved over the 1100+ hp block that *** offers on their site.

Do a Fuel lab fuel system.

Then put that money into a BTS, JW or DI tranny, buy some 300/300's from Unlimited, and plumb up your own 47/38r compound setup.

I know of one guy that has a setup like that. He tows alot, and puts down 650ish hp. It's a daily driver.

#12 ·
get the super black mamba motor its a 7.3 it is one awesome it'll set ya back about 9K but for HP we're talking abuot 500HP+ and around 900ft/lbs bada$$ in my opinion!:rofl:

#17 ·
Actually I think it's 8 grand for 450 HP.

If it were my money I would buy an already pulled long block and send it to a decent builder. Save alot of money, use the money for more power, or put it back into the bank.

the bolded part is exactly why you have no clue what your talking about. You WANT it, you dont have it therefore you dont know what it takes. if it were easy to make 600 everyone would be doing it!
There are ALOT more trucks running around at that level then even a year ago. Most of them aren't on this site.

A set of 250cc+ injectors and 42r. You are there.

#14 ·
Its nice to be different. I have 3 buddies with 24 valves. My brother and 2 friends have 12 valves. My other buddy has a 1st gen 12v and an 05 f250 that had a 6.0 which is now a 2nd gen 12v. He is now try to sell the 1st gen and get another 6.0. I am the only one of us with a powerstroke at all and I wouldnt trade it for any of their trucks. None of theirs run as smooth and problem free as mine has so far. The only one I would take is my brothers twinned 12v making an easy 500 hp but I still would rather drive my stroker.

#19 ·
your right... not alot of 600+hp trucks on this site... but on the other one.. its a differant storey. :sly:

#20 ·
i just saw a heavily modded 7.3 put down 956hp and 1750ft lbs on the dyno at the TS event on friday night and i talked with the owner for a brief second and said he had about 20gs in the motor...Empire diesel did the work...Personally i would give them a call because that seems like sum pretty good numbers to me

#28 ·
yes empire built the engine, but htey did not tune it, build injectors or provide the turbo. in this world you cannot pick just one vendor or else you wont be on top. Brian has picked some very good sponsors to deal with and things are working out very well for him!

#22 ·
Oh forgot to add Ported heads will run you about 3k and that will allow you to hit 600hp maybe even 700 with some spray.

All those numbers assume you install it yourself and you can prolly beat those prices especially if you can may you own up pipes.

#25 ·
Call Beans Diesel performance. They will get you about to 600 and youll still have some cash left over.

#30 ·
id have to disagree with the 100 people have 600hp 7.3s. There is some out there but i dont think its that many.

#32 ·
theres not 100 trucks but around 10 trucks that are commonly on other sites making 600+ and im sure theres alot of other trucks making good power that dont come onto forums so its really hard to tell...either way I see no issue making 600hp but i will agree there is alot of variables and diffrent setups that can be used

#33 ·
I agree I would throw a cummins in there or get one of them Black mamba motors. BUt I have never pushed that much power but those would be my choices if I was to do it. Just my Opinion wich usually doesn't mean much.

#36 ·
Dont do the cummins! A high hp 7.3 takes skill and is unique, I would much rather have a 475-550 7.3 over a 650-700 cummins... but that me

#39 ·
If you already have a Forged Rod Block...

Gen 3 - 1650
Fuel System - 1200
Modded S400 - 1700
T4i mount - 1250
Injectors - 2800
Springs,Studs,Pushrods - 1000
Intake/Exhaust/Gauges - 1000
Transmission - 4900
Labor to install - ?

Fuel Pressure, EGT, Trans, boost, drive pressure.

$15500

If you have a PMR block... I'd swap in a forged rod and run it while building the PMR block up. Rods, Girdle, Pistons, Machining, Ported Heads, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.