Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Motor let go today, Any tips?

5K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  stroker342gt 
#1 · (Edited)
Motor let go today, Any tips? PICS UP PG4

Ok so today something in the bottom of my late 99 7.3 let go! any tips tricks, or pointers to make this easier or less of a pain would be appreciated. Also any tips as what to do while its out? Can i buy a built short block like drag motors or is it pretty much all up to me? HELP!!!!

#3 ·
Thats what im saying, i dont know where is a good place to start with looking for parts, pre-built short blocks, etc.

#6 ·
One says pre-2000 the other says 2000 or later???? what kind of investigation? gonna try to get it out next week, just wondering where to get parts, seems like the internals are scarce!!!!!

#8 ·
The pre 2000's will have forged rods which will be stronger. If you went with a later 2000-2003 they will have powdered metal rods which will be weaker. If you want to run larger injectors or turbo you should look for forged rods otherwise you will window your block.
Sorry bud. I meant 2000 or earlier for the reasons that ford truck said. :thumb:

#7 ·
The pre 2000's will have forged rods which will be stronger. If you went with a later 2000-2003 they will have powdered metal rods which will be weaker. If you want to run larger injectors or turbo you should look for forged rods otherwise you will window your block.

#9 ·
So what happened??? Was this a stock tuned truck?

I would go with a 99-2000 motor and be done. Check craigslist, u can find them quite often

#10 ·
#11 ·
:worthless[1]:

#12 ·
what about the BLACK MAMBA :doh::hehe:

also... yea what exactly happened? how many miles on your 99??? share the deets!

#13 ·
soon as i get it out ill get pics up, its a stock tuned truck mods are in sig except its got a php 6 pos on it now. No real details, just driving along perfectly normal bout 5:30 yesterday, no noise from the motor prior to this yesterday, came off a traffic light, driving like a 70yr old for a change, and bout the time i got a half mile or so up the road it started making all kinds of bottom end noise and few seconds later locked up. pulled the intake, turbo is fine, pulled the drain plug and there was chunks of what appears to be ring stuck to the magnetic part.

#22 ·
How many miles on your motor and how many miles with a chip?

#15 ·
honestly no idea on the blowby. Soooo if there is nothing wrong with my rods and crank, the rods are already forged? which should mean theyd hold 5-600hp and i could re-use them with some sick pistons, lots of studs and good head gaskets and id be good to go for a while powerwise?????

#16 ·
And International whats the black mamba? it had 160K on it.

#17 ·
If you are going to try re-using your rods make sure you take them to a machine shop to make sure they are still good and straight

#18 ·
yep id deff do that but are they safe to keep using? and if i get the gt38r turbo and a adrenaline hpop do i have to get bigger injectors? im new to the diesel world.

#19 ·
You don't have to get bigger injectors but it will make it more fun to drive. You could send your injectors into Jim Rosewood and he could build them for you for a pretty good price actually.

#21 ·
yea i was thinking bout puttin the mahle pistons, main studs, head studs, ceramic head gaskets, better valve springs, and the adrenaline hpop and gt38r.... assuming that the crank and rods are ok that is.

#23 ·
16x,xxx on the motor, and the 6pos has only been on it maybe 6K miles.

#24 ·
Thats not too high of mileage. But one thing it still comes down to is how much money are you comfortable spending on it and are you doing the work yourself?

#25 ·
i can budget $5-6K, and yes ill be doing all the work myself. Built plenty of drag motors and the cars around them.

#26 ·
you need to send the rods off to get them magnafluxed to make sure they are not cracked. It probally wouldnt be a bad idea to send them somewhere like Wide Open Performance and get them Peened and cryoed as well. It will make them stronget if you do this..

While you have it all tore down I think it would be worth it to add a set of h-11 studs, 910 valve springs, a set of push rods from Diesel Innovations, and personally id give ford a call and get a master rebuild kit for the 7.3 and freshen up the entire engine. The kit comes with new piston, oil cooler, all the gaskets in the engine.... everything.

#28 ·
I think you need to do some carefull checking into what might have caused your motor to fail esp at those low miles and only a few miles chipped. Depending on the nature of the failure, I would have PHP re-check the tunes on the chip just to be 100% sure. If the damage is to for say one single piston and the oil jet was intact I might wonder what was going on with that injector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.