Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

GV splitter Trans for 96 powerstroke

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  5speedstroker 
#1 ·
hey guys new here, still trying to find my way around. I just had a question about Gear Vendors splitter trannys. Are they a totally new transmission or does it bolt on to the existing trany....i know a stupid question but i had to ask. And if anyone had one or heard of one any info is greatly needed!
Thank you

#2 ·
If the truck is 2wd, they bolt onto the back of the tranny. If the truck is 4wd it goes behind the transfer case. Either case the driveshaft needs to be shortened.

#3 ·
Your in luck. I used to work at Gear Vendors as Tech Support and also handled inventory and purchasing. I know that thing inside and out. Ask anything you like. :)

As FordGuy100 said already they are an auxiliary, or additional, tranny. They have three basic mounting techniques.....2wd usually bolts to the back of the tranny, 4wd to the back of the transfer case. In some applications (long wheelbase where drive shaft lengths do not work out right) it replaces the drive shaft carrier bearing and is called a remote mount. With that you have to modify both drive shafts. They do not make a unit that mounts between the tranny and transfer case, so their product can only be used in 2wd.

All units are 2speed....direct 1/1 and .78/1 (22%) overdrive. There are no other ratios at this time. The units are good for 1200hp/4000ft/lb spike torque and can be requested to be built to withstand 2000hp.

They are a very tough unit and will last a long time as long as you follow their directions. There are two things that will burn up a GV in a hurry. One is backing up a hill with a VERY heavy load and stopping/starting on the hill. They are simply not designed to handle abuse in reverse. If your in that situation (say towing a 5th wheel at 25000-30000lbs GCVW) your ok as long as you keep your momentum. Keep in mind that is reverse only. The other thing that will smoke them is using an exhaust brake while the overdrive is turned on. It's a physics thing inside. When your driving forward and your foot is on the gas , internally in the GV everything (clutch assembly) is actually forced together a little because of that loading. When you take your foot off and that exhaust brake kicks in it unloads the internals and can cause some slippage to occur. It doesn't take a whole lot of slippage to glaze the clutch. Once that happens it will slip in OD and eventually will not go into OD at all. Oh, and the oil will get that rancid burnt smell.

Customer service is very good. If you have a problem with the unit, or even think you having a problem with your tranny, give tech support a call. Mike McCarthy and Jeff Kubizna are very smart and as long as you tell them everything and do what they ask, you will have an answer to your problem very quickly. Sometimes they are busy on the phones and you may talk to Rick Johnson, the owner of GV.

I like them a lot. I am narrowed down to two PSD here and as soon as I buy mine I am taking it to GV to have one put on.:nod:

#4 ·
Hey thanks guys that helps a lot. I was hoping it was a whole new tranny because i am told my syncro is going bad from 2nd to third. The trans shop said if this is happening then i should do a full tranny rebuild. the thing is, is when i drive my truck i wont grind the gears if i take it easy. when my wife drives the truck its a different story she grinds the he#@ out of em, gives me a stomach ache!! Do you guys think that i should do a tranny rebuild (about 3,000 bucks) since its probley needing one or bolt on the GV splittter ( about 3,000 bucks too) ? thanks for the help in advance.

#5 · (Edited)
If you have a bad syncro then do the tranny. A GV will only add ratio's between gears (gear splitting) plus an additional OD ratio. It will do nothing to reverse or avoid the syncro problem. If you have tranny problems fix them first IMHO. Regardless of the GV your wife will still grind 2nd down to the nubs :doh: :hehe: :rofl:

EDIT: Oops. I meant 3rd, not 2nd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.