Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Muffler Delete

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  turbosuzuki 
#1 ·
Are there any performance gains to doing the muffler delete or is it strictly for changing the sound? I don't have a cat on my excursion and am debating taking out the muffler if it has any performance gains. I don't really want it load - I have the other truck for that. Thanks guys-

#4 ·
Its louder under acceleration, but while cruising my truck is quieter without the muffler. I think there might be a small performance and mpg gain.

#5 ·
I've got an 01 F250 w/auto that I use to pull the GF 26' 5er. I have the DIY intake and the Walker BTM on the stock pipes. Before the muffler alone it would take me at least 2 miles to get the 5er up to 70 on the turnpike, but after the muffler it takes me only 3/4 mile to get up to speed. I don't have gages but the truck doesn't seem to struggle like it used to.

#6 ·
Getting rid of that restrictive stock muffler will definately help things. Either a striaght delete or if you don't want it quite so loud, a Walker BTM will be quiter, and will still flow much better than the stock setup. I had my straight piped, but I work late and coming up the hill to my house seemed a little loud. (I like my neighbors). I put on the BTM and I kinda get the best of both worlds. As far a mileage, I didn't see any difference, but the exhaust temp is cooler.

#7 ·
All my noise is from my single shot injectors. I ran a straight pipe for years. The EGT's were down from stock and you could hear the turbo whistle a bit more. It does not matter what you do a 7.3 is gonna be a bit noisy. Might as well have less EGT's

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies - what is this Walker BTM you mention?

#9 ·
I just cut off my muffler, and I did not find it that nosiey. Yes it can be when you romp on it, but if you keep the foot off the skinny, it will not bother others as much as you might think. Just use some common sense when you kit the skinny, and you will be fine. So far, I have notices a slight increase in MPG's so far, and I can hear the turbo better. I still need to run a full tank threw it before I say a increase of MPG's, but the lie-o-meter has moved up .2 MPG's and I have drove a little harder than I normal do. Same fuel, nothing new, just cut the muffler off, nothing else yet.

#10 ·
The Walker Big Truck Muffler is a straight thru design muffler. I got mine at NAPA for about $50. Easy to install. There are a couple of write ups on here on how to install. For the money, I'm happy.

#11 ·
my dad made a 4" cut out that was never used since our muffler is straight through anyways. its for sale for the right price

#12 ·
I deleted my muffler, (don't have a cat either) I kept my muffler in case it was too loud.
I didn't notice much difference in noise while driving easy. Two days later, which was New Years morning, I was in Mesquite Nv. in a really nice neighborhood. I got up early to head to Colorado. Went out at 6:30 am to warm her up. It was fricken freezin out. I was back inside when my wife said, "what the hell is that?" It sounded like an F-16 was taking off out front. I ran out there only to find my dam truck was doing it's high idle thing. Holy crap, It was echoing off the garage door, the neighbors houses, my wife ran out & said, "shut that #$%$%$#n thing off, I told you you were an idiot for taking off the stupid muffler."
Anyway, if you're warming it up in a nice hood early in the am, it's going to be a bit obnoxious.
PS. It's not going back on!!

#13 ·
haha yeah they get pretty loud when there on the "warm up mode" the first time i ever heard it i was like..... ....this is not good, i didnt have a clue what was going on lol

#14 ·
That's when I unhooked my EBPV. It was really loud. Much quieter in high idle mode with it unhooked. I got the same response from my wife the first time mine did it.

#16 ·
lol my ebpv sounds ridiculous too when it goes on. f16 is about right.

#18 ·
I want to do a turnout infront of the rear wheel (my exhaust is stock). But from the sounds of it I should just go buy a hacksaw and take my muffler off. With the outlet of the pipe under the bed does it resonate real bad?

#22 ·
I cut the muffler off my 99 (no cat factory). Just sawed it off right at the front of the muffler. It sounded better. Then I ran it out infront of the rear tire, much louder. Nothing close to as loud as my 6.0 but it sound better than having a muffler!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.