Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Powerstroke BIG BOOST Mod????????

43K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  SCstroker 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You can do the same thing they are claming by unpluging the red vacume line from the waste gate.

#5 ·
hey guys i bought this a while ago, it acctually has a noticable difference from taking off the read line and putting it on a IC clamp, it only takes about 2 minutes to put on. its over priced for what it is though, just thought id chime in

#8 ·
i guess i just dont understand what it is supposed to do? :dunno:

#10 ·
so wiring the wastegate shut would do the exact same thing as long as you have a gauge to watch the psi

#12 ·
Just unplugging the red tube will do it, but be sure to cap the wastgate and stick the red tube on a cac tube clamp to keep crap out of them.

#13 ·
Its pointless. All it does is make it build more boost by not allowing the wastegate to open as much. You can accomplish the same thing by unplugging the red line off the actuator.

Don't even waste your time. Boost does not = power. All you will do is prematurely wear out your turbo.

#18 ·
#21 ·
First off don't listen to any mod that dumbazz on powerstrokehelp tells you. He is ok for maintenance stuff (except changing HPOP oil which is pointless, but thats another topic) but he is a moron when it comes to mods.

Keeping the wastegate shut is "safe" as long as you don't go over 30 PSI, but its pointless. If you aren't adding extra fuel, that extra boost isn't going to do anything. Plus when you add extra fuel boost will go up anyway without doing anything.

#23 ·
Either one of those would be a great place to start. If you plan on getting a chip you will need gauges at some point. Before you add any power you are going to want a free flowing exhaust (no cat, no muffler, or at least a straight through muffler), air intake (napa part #6637 is what most of us use for a DIY intake) and gauges. Those are first before any power should be added.

After you do those you can start looking at a custom tuned chip from Total Diesel Performance (aka TW chip), Power Hungry Performance, Beans, Swamps, etc. Stay away from generic tuners, i.e. banks, edge, bullydong. Being that yours is an 01 you most likely have powdered metal rods, therefore a chip is probably about all you'll want to do for power adders. You may get away with stage 1 injectors with good tuning. With any luck you have forged rods, in which case you can have 500 horse with the stock bottom end. To find out you'll have to unscrew the inspection plug from the side of the block and take a look.

If you run it hard you should look into getting a upgraded valve body for the trans. They run about $250. They will customize it to your driving style and preferences. I have one from BTS and it was a great investment. It took my tranny from slipping between gears in higher power tunes to firm solid shifts. A VB wouldn't be a bad idea for a stock truck either.

That should get you started.

#28 ·
So maybe I should think about gauges first, then exahaust, then intake? How much tourque would I add with these 2?

After that then I could maybe go with a chip?
Im not sure how much power exactly you will get but it will be noticable. Any of those first 3 would be ok to start with. It might be interesting to put the gauges on first to see how much change you see in boost and EGT with the intake and exhaust.

Any recommendations on stacks?
Whichever you feel like getting. All the exhaust companies are pretty much the same except for price.

#26 ·
sounds like a plan. not sure on the tourque but you will feel a little with the butt dyno.

#32 ·
Isspro. I bought a kit from Diesel Manor and it came with everything to hook them up, with detailed instructions. I paid i think $330 for mine but that was a while ago, i think its around $350 now. Well worth the money.

Some say autometers are good, my only experience with them was bad.

Stay away from Glowshift. I know a few guys with them and they suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.