Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need some advice

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  holding77 
#1 ·
Hey well I am looking for some advice on what to do and where to probably start. I want to do some upgrades I need to fix my oil leaks first but wanna get some ideas. I hear and read about all these delete kits and stuff but not sure what they all are and am wondering about those. Also wanting to get an air intake and maybe change the intake pipes out if it would be worth it was thinking about that CFM one I think it is on XDP. Just give me some advice on some good thing to do. I have a 02 f250 7.3 auto ext. cab short bed with 6" and 35s. I have it straight piped a bully dog shift kit and edge evolution programmer. Thanks everyone in advance waiting to see what yals opinions are.

#2 ·
AFE intake or a S&B...

4" turbo back exhaust system...

Gauges, pyro, boost and tranny temp...

Good, well tuned chip...

Thats all you need for a 300-320hp truck...

might get a bit of turbo surge with the lift and tires, so think about a compressor wheel for the turbo or a larger exhaust housing to fix that issue!

#3 ·
Congrats on the new truck, I just got one just like it but in LB. 1st thing I'd do to compliment your straight exhaust is a DIY intake. I'll post a pic of mine. These big open elements have 4 times the surface. The 7.3's need to breath. The turbo will spool up right now, increasing your low end take off. (still won't be a racehorse like the 6.0's &6.4's of course.) But a workhorse, yes:thumb: Just search 7.3 oil leaks here on the ORG.

#10 ·
LOL... You do relize the factory intake is the most restrictive part on the entire truck right???

If your talking 6.0 then your correct, but the 7.3 factory intake sucks.

#5 ·
My intake made a huge difference. Total cost= $32.00 filter, $4.99 for the heavy duty clamp. Exhaust pipe FREE!! Molakia, you sig say that you did in fact spend $ on an intake??? Prolly there when you bought it A?

#9 · (Edited)
This is a mod that allows ram air into your air filter box. Here's a picture of mine. You simply cut out the radiator support where the air intake tube begins. I put a rubber belting shroud around mine to scoop up additional fresh air. Currently it is sucking air that has been warmed up by passing through the fifteen radiators on your truck. Personally I think it is a good mod to do even if you go with the big open element. Others dissagree vehemently. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, after all I'm just a stupid truck driver, according to my Ex (thank Goodness) wife. Hope this helps BGJ

#12 ·
ok well what brand of intake do you recommend. I was thinking about getting either afe stage 2 w/progaurd or like a volant intake since it is an inclosed box and you wont get so much engine heat. like an open molded to hood box.

#15 ·
I wish I would have done the tymar intake all those years ago...

yea but with the DIY that sucks in a lot of engine heat and you want cool air so you wants something more secluded from engine heat and be able to get more of the cool air from outside rite. It doesnt look like the DIY air intake is at all secluded.

there is less then 5* differance from under hood temps and out once underway. Dont worry about it.:thumb:

#14 ·
yea but with the DIY that sucks in a lot of engine heat and you want cool air so you wants something more secluded from engine heat and be able to get more of the cool air from outside rite. It doesnt look like the DIY air intake is at all secluded.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys it is appreciated. Like I said I am just trying to figure out where to start and put my money first and it not be too much of a waist. Molokai I like the truck looks sweet What size rims and tires do you have like 33x13.50x20 and 20x10 dick cepeks or what they look pretty wide and have a big offset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.