Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Chip for a manual transmission...

13K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  oasis04 
#1 ·
Which chip would be best for a manual transmission? I've heard that some tuners can destroy automatics. I know custom tunes are the only way to go, so dp or tw, but are either of these known for being better with a manual transmission? Also, are the only guages needed egt and boost? Any other guage I should get to fill in a 3rd spot on the pillar? I've always liked the look of the 3 pillar over the 2 pillar.

If theres not any difference in tuners, which would you go with? I've seen several threads saying great things about both. TW is know for being a little slow getting the chip out and on the customer relations side of things I hear, but I hear hes been having some family issues too, so thats understandable. Any negatives with dp?

I just need some guidance before I shell out a bunch of money for one. I have a birthday coming up in just over a month and am thinking I may need to get something around then.

#2 ·
I vote for TW... just beacause thats what I have and I like it. Its the only tunes I've have ever tried. Also, for the 3rd hole in the pod I vote for fuel pressure.

#3 ·
I ordered a TW havent recieved it yet but that is fine, cant wait to get it. I know for auto trannies to get a tran temp gauge, now for a manual i dont know. Fuel pressure maybe, shoot still might need a tranny guage

#4 ·
I would go with TW and if you want a 3rd gauge then I would go with fuel pressure

#5 ·
Looks like I'll go with TW. I know hes good, just wanted to get others opinions.

Anyone have any issues with check engine lights with his tunes? I know with DP you can get the tunes with "no codes" so it won't throw overboost codes.

#7 ·
So there are 4 to choose from now. TW, DP, PHP an diesel innovation tunes.

I'm glad there are a lot to choose from, but am also wishing one was clearly better than the others so I know I'm buying the best one.

#10 ·
Swamps, Beans, Power Hungry Performance, Diesel Inovations, Total Diesel Performance, Gear Head, BTS, Elite...

Stick with them and you will be happy...

#11 ·
So TW or PHP. So far I've cut out one, but added another.

Who are the sponsors here for PHP? I know Raul sells TW.

Appreciate all the help.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I have the DP with the handshaker and quite honestly I've never been real happy with it. Off idle its a dog then around 1600-2000rpms it takes off like a bat out of hell. The power is not linear like I've heard about with other tuners. I know you can send the tunes back but I don't want to go thru the hastle. I'm going to ditch this tuner for Beans tunes. Plus, all the other tuners use the TS style chips and you can get burns from multiple tuners on one chip.

#22 ·
Scratch the above. I installed the Terminator modded HPOP yesterday and now the truck runs smoother and definitely a big SOTP difference from a week 15* pump to a modded 17*. It's like a new truck. Picked up 3lbs of boost too.

#14 ·
I'm running fuel pressure in my third pod, but I have a four pod pillar and have my switch for the ts chip in it.

#15 ·
I looked at the PHP site, is the Pheonix the one I should be looking at if I go with them?

Pheonix Chip

It looks like its very similar to the TW. Looks like the PHP is $80 more than the TW, so I may end up with the TW if they are both the same.

#16 ·
Oh. It looks the the TW is $300 just for the chip, plus $$ for each additional position.

The PHP, if im reading it right, says $380 for the 6 positions. That would make it cheaper

#17 ·
For a Superduty I would go with Bill at PHP... Give them a call!

#19 ·
Appreciate all the help guys. As of right now, it looks like I'm gonna go with PHP. Still got a couple weeks till I'm ready to order it so things might change, but it looks like PHP might have the win.

Post up if you've got any suggestions otherwise.

#20 ·
ill let you know towards the end of next week how my Diesel Innovations run. i have similar mods to you with same tire size and everything except i dont have the exhaust. ill try and get my gauges hooked up so i can give some pyro and boost numbers as well :thumb:

#23 ·
I'd appreciate that. It'd add one more name to the list, but I'm still looking towards PHP right now unless I hear some arguments otherwise.

Gauges guys... got to get the gauges hooked up!!!
Guages will be in before the chip. I want to see what the numbers are stock just so I have an idea. Wouldn't run a chip without them, heard to many horror stories.

Scratch the above. I installed the Terminator modded HPOP yesterday and now the truck runs smoother and definitely a big SOTP difference from a week 15* pump to a modded 17*. It's like a new truck. Picked up 3lbs of boost too.
I hope to replace injectors, hpop, turbo, etc as I can afford them down the line. Thats why I want a custom tuned chip, so as I complete them, i can get new tunes for the new setup.

#21 ·
Gauges guys... got to get the gauges hooked up!!!

#24 ·
I'm leaning towards the autometer guages. I can't remember the exact model right now but they are black during the day and light up green at night. I'd like them to look as close to the stock dash color as possible and i seen that they did so theyre the ones I'm looking at.

#25 ·
Isspro matchs the stock dash PERFECT... Check out the Isspro EV2 or Performax line...

Best gauges you can get, and made in the USA.

#26 ·
Yeah, it was the isspro i was looking at.

#27 ·
Autometer GS series match the dash pretty dang good also even green leds

Konnor u still dont have those hooked up come on now lol

And i wouldnt even think about DP they widow too many blocks way too many horror stories

#28 ·
Who here sells the isspro guages?

I'm looking at the R60022 Boost and Pyro pillar 2 guage kit on there website.

#29 ·
Isspro is a site sponser, but I think Raul is carrying Isspro as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.