Split Shots VS single shots - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
<< Representin with INK

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Split Shots VS single shots

K heres my plans. I dont know what injector would more satisfy my needs and budget so Im gonna ask and see what people think

-stock gt38 with 1.00 A/R, ported compressor housing and turbomaster wastegate controller
-procharger D1SC centrifugal supercharger at about 10-12 lbs

Im really looking at the swamps 175/stock nozzle split shot injector and then adding either 24 or 26 lpm DDP nozzles or possibly the single shot 200cc/30% modded nozzles, I was however thinking that I could probably see the same power maybe a little more and better mpg as well if i go with some beans 160cc single shot injectors and the 24-26lpm DDP nozzles. Im only looking for about 425-450 turned up hott and about 350-375 for towing duties Id say about 400 for DD use

What would you recommend for that power level, Im running PHP tunes right now and would like to not have custom tunes made up yet. Thats why I was thinking of using the split shots for now, But if I cant get that power without losing a bunch of economy and using tons of hpop oil to push them I would much rather just go with the beans single shots, and get some custom tunes made for me thanks for reading let me know what you guys think I should do for that power level and best economy or another route for about that power....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
<< Representin with INK

Anyone have any take on this? Has anyone ever done like a stage 2 split shot? what was the drawbacks of the split shot vs spending the extra and going to a single shot style setup?? I would really rather keep the split shot tunes as cost is alot less... I see pretty good mileage now, so if it stayed the same with some stage 2 split shots id be happy with that, I have an adrenaline so Ill be ok with HPOP and Ill be running a procharger so ill have enough air too. I just want some others opinions and experience with some split shot injectors...... Thanks someone please give me some insight on this.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Split shots will consume alot more HPO, you'll see more performance and a more efficiant performance goin with single shots. And FYI, if you have a PHP chip, you're already runnin "custom" tunes, and Bill does reburns. So do not let tuning hold you back. There are much better reasons to choose one injector over the other. The tuning is not an issue that should influence your choice.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Single shot is definately the way to go. You will get better mileage and you can go way bigger. Look into some Mini me's from diesel innovations. They are amazing injectors and I can still get great mileage if I tune for mileage. But it is hard to stay out of the GO pedal
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

single shots are nice, they use less oil to fire them they typically will net you better milage also. they one thing agianst them is they are a little noisier. that is really not much louder.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

just wondering if it's worth changing injectors for mileage on a stock 99,if its a big enough gain,maybe a little more power?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
<< Representin with INK

I know about the php tunes its just the cost I was really looking for the cheapest route possible, however if it is that noticable of a loss in mileage with the splits thats my main concern really, I have an adrenaline and dont plan on making more than just over 400whp so if the split shots barely take anymore HPOP oil to run than stock AD's take and were alot cheaper than a set of single shots!!

I will look into it more, it just seems like when they are singles they are a ton more $ for the same damn injector setup minus second injection lol.

What I am thinking is lets say I can find some 98cc AA injectors from around here outta a junkyard, use rosewoods setup to rebuild them and make them 160cc and then add some 24 0r 26 lpm nozzles from DDP... This seems like it would benifit me the most out of anysetup Ive looked at, yet making my own injectors setup seems like it would barely be anymore than buying a certain set from some company.... lol Thanks for everyones help, I knew you guys were gonna say that I should have just asked a more specific question.....

Last edited by Grease Monkey; 11-30-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
<< Representin with INK

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheadjay View Post
just wondering if it's worth changing injectors for mileage on a stock 99,if its a big enough gain,maybe a little more power?
To swap to single shots you need to run custom tunes to control the timing of the injectors as the single shots are about a 10 degree timing difference.
You can go with a number of different chips and dont need to have a hot tune to run these but you do need to control timing even if keeping stock like power levels. Hope this helps.

Also to switch to a bigger set of split shots with a stock truck, it will hinder your HPOP pressures a bunch, but you will see some power gains without a chip, however you will more than likely run hotter than tuned as well as get alot worse mileage than a tune to control the injection. I would look into a chip before I would injectors unless your looking at both at the same time. Also with these trucks, if you plan on keeping your stock turbo your injector shoice is limited as with stock injectors turned up the turbo already chirps pretty badly. When you add more fuel it will surge more, I would really recommend upgrading your turbo too as well if you want to see the Best sconomy possible as well as the most power possible keeping it reliable just like stock.

Last edited by Grease Monkey; 11-30-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease Monkey View Post
I know about the php tunes its just the cost I was really looking for the cheapest route possible, however if it is that noticable of a loss in mileage with the splits thats my main concern really, I have an adrenaline and dont plan on making more than just over 400whp so if the split shots barely take anymore HPOP oil to run than stock AD's take and were alot cheaper than a set of single shots!!

I will look into it more, it just seems like when they are singles they are a ton more $ for the same damn injector setup minus second injection lol.

What I am thinking is lets say I can find some 98cc AA injectors from around here outta a junkyard, use rosewoods setup to rebuild them and make them 160cc and then add some 24 0r 26 lpm nozzles from DDP... This seems like it would benifit me the most out of anysetup Ive looked at, yet making my own injectors setup seems like it would barely be anymore than buying a certain set from some company.... lol Thanks for everyones help, I knew you guys were gonna say that I should have just asked a more specific question.....
I'm gettin a little confused... Bill should be able to reburn your chip for next to nothing. Tunes are not an issue, really.

AD's, which are already in your truck, are split shot injectors.

They take ALOT more oil than singles. Singles only use oil from start of injection through end of injection.

Splits use oil from the pilot shot, throught the delay between that and the main shot, all the way through the end of the main shot.

I have an adrenaline also, and can show you logs that show just how much AD's stress the HPOS. My tuning is cleaned up and the logs look much better now, than with the tuning I was running.

Singles are also easier to tune, since there's only one injection event. There are a LOT of reasons why singles shots are better than splits.

THE ONLY reason splits MIGHT be better than singles is a quieter idle, and better emissions. THAT'S IT!

I think your cheapest option is gonna be to call various shops and price a complete set of stage 1's. Swamps was offering a very affordable stage 1 (160CC) not to long ago.

A SD with stage 1's, a good turbo, and the Adrenaline should be close to 400. Don't mess with the nozzles if 400 is all you're goin for, tuning is especially important once you mess with nozzles, so even if you went splits, you'd need tuning for the new nozzles.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM
<< Representin with INK

My point in messing with the nozzles is to clean them up more than stock im not going to go much bigger than a stock injector but I do want a cleaner tip so the atomazation is at its highest value possible for the best eceonmy possible. Swamps sinlges are way more than splits are. I have talked to almost every damn manufacture out their and until swamps none of them would even tell me the differecne either becuase they dont know it or their just too busy to deal with me. I dont really care, Ive talked with swamps quite a bit on this, and YES I DO understand the difference between the two as well as how they work. I do not however have any numbers with anything other than my stock AD sticks. I geuss I worded everything wrong here. Im looking for real world numbers folks

Telll me what you have with your setup and ill make my choice. I understand the differences and all that jazz Im no dumby Im just loking for what different setups made as well as like you running your logs how it changed when doing different things. This is exactly what I want to hear, not I should do this or should do that. I will do whatever I chose to do either way lol I make mistakes and learn from them sometimes better sometimes worse. Normally I do pretty good tho, This is my first diesel but If can make a beater *** honda outrun a porsche on buttonwillow racetrack Im pretty sure I will be alright setting up my truck.

What I am looking for is numbers number numbers lol, I want what you were seeing hpop wise, did you lose your *** with pressures, rpms, what? What did you see economy wise and whp number wise with differing injectors...... Im not tryin to be rude, I just want to know what people have made because I know people chose different things. I wanted to round up different peoples numbers and see what real world results were. I know ad understand the way that splits vs singles work. I should have said id different from the start I apologize but this is more of the exact thing im looking for, not so much opinions on this vs that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.