Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Painting intercooler pipes

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  REVIVED 
#1 · (Edited)
Title is suppose to say, Painting Intercooler Pipes, I got internet owned

Currently just waiting on warmer weather, but just wanted to find out beforehand what I need to do. So I was able to get my trucks paint code made into rattle spray cans. I know I need to get rid of all the oil and grease on the pipes, which shouldn't be too bad considering i cleaned it with brake clean when I installed the KC38R turbo this past weekend. Then I'll be using 180 - 320 grit sand paper to clean up some surface damage (hopefully), then use 600 grit for the final sanding. What I'm stumped on is if I should use like an adhesion promotor or an etching primer before I use the rattle cans?

My truck is a Deep Tourmaline Metallic, I think it'll be different and definitely stand out when finished, its green but has that bluish look to it in the right sunlight

Reactions: adamwatson
#2 ·
Fixed the thread title for ya.

#3 ·
Thank You, I didn't catch it til it was too late

#4 ·
This is something I have been looking into a lot and asking people as well. I have come to the conclusion I'm going to get mine powder coated and do a aluminum intake pipe as well powder coated. Powder coat will hold up way longer. I have been told by multiple people who have painted items such as these and other items and they have told me it scratches and chips easy and if you do paint them you want to get a paint that you bake on. Hope this helps at all. I didn't want to bake anything and I do like powder coat so that's why I decided to go this route.

#5 ·
I used Aircraft Remover to take off all gunk and adhesive. Then I sanded the pipes down a little to promote paint adhesion. I did throw one coat of primer on there before painting though. I believe I used clean metal primer. The paint I used was Aluminum color, Duplicolor brand. Has worked out very well and still looks good. That was about 4 years ago.

#6 ·
i used vht flame proof primer its MUST! If you wanna use a self etching that might work even better but i had great result with VHT and almost no prep i only brake cleaned and lightly wire wheeled them. was simple as hell,

note, when putting them in the truck try to put a trash bag over them to avoid scratches then pull the bag off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.