Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wicked ball bearing turbo

12K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
Figured I'd be the first to wright a review on diesel sites new turbo its a little bigger than I think my stock injectors can handle but it spools really nice and sounds amazing but for some reason my egts went up almost 200° I check all my boots and exhaust v band clamp and put in new donut gaskets but their still really high but all in all its a very stought turbo

#2 ·
Buy or build a boost leak detector.

#3 ·
Ya I already tried it unfortunately. I have all riffraff boots on it and I siliconed them on the CAC tubes and I didn't have any leaks I'm thinking I need to hook up to a good scan tool and check how my IPR is reacting cause it smokes quite a bit even when I had my stock turbo on it

#4 ·
Well if the up pipes were already leaking. They usually don't reseal even with new donuts.

Ya if fuel pressure and oil pressure are low it will cause issues

Reactions: TopFlight7Tree
#6 ·
As long as fuel and oil pressure don't drop under hard load then those aren't the issue.

Go WOT for atleast 5 seconds to see what they drop too.

#8 ·
How do you like the turbo so far? What injectors are you running? I just ordered this turbo with the 66mm/94mm option along with 175/80% injectors.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Well my Diesel Site early 1999 wicked ball bearing turbo with 66mm/94mm showed up, so should get it installed this weekend.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Sorry I just seen this post my gmail put it in spam. I love the turbo but I need to look into some tunes because its not quick to spool I just put it on my freshly rebuilt engine 2weeks ago it sounds amazing but my egts are thought the roof but a good chip I think should fix it I'll let you know this Weekend I'm gonna put my superchip back in I took it out to break in the new motor

#11 ·
Ya you definitely need some tunes on their.

#13 ·
Ya you need some fuel to spool that bad boy

#15 ·
Well I towed a 10,000 pound load from Arizona to Florida and had nothing but egt issues I'm gonna try a .84 housing and see if that helps or put the stock turbo back oni don't wanna buy new bigger injectors just cause the turbo won't spool I talked to diesel site and they said it was more for stage one injectors I just like how quiet stock splits are

#16 ·
I would first check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks.

I have a oem .84 housing I'll let go cheap.

#18 ·
I would love to sell it to you but it's the same one on your stock turbo. I would just pull the one off your old turbo. They should be the same.

#19 ·
Did you downshift when needed turning overdrive off?

With Rpms are up it should work fantastic.

The garret 38r is the exact same basically. Ball bearing, 66mm wheel, 76x68 turbine wheel with 1.0 housing.

Did you tighten the wastegate down?

#20 ·
I would talk to diesel site to make sure your oem housing will fit with the turbine. I forgot that the turbine was larger. It might not fit.

But like ^^^^ he said. Did you adjust your waste gate? What rpm range where you having issues.

#22 ·
how is everyone liking the sound? how does it sound compared to the 38r? compared to stock?

#24 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am looking into getting one for my E99. Would you have done anything different with which size one you would have got the 66mm or the 60mm one? Good news on the sound. I have been in a 38r truck before and they get annoying after about an hour of driving.

#26 ·
The stock .84 housing works.

The turbine wheel is the same as stock.

The van turbo and kc38r have a 76x70 turbine wheel, stock is 76x68.

Ya it look a like it needs to be kept spooled up. 1200 degrees isn't hot by the way. You can run 1200 degrees all day long, 1300+ short bursts.

OP don't buy the 60mm version it's a waste of money. Just buy the the ww2 or similar billet wheel.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.