Why can't I mount my EGT probe........... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why can't I mount my EGT probe...........

On the downpipe? If there any reason that this should not be done. I know that a lot of OTR tractors do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, db
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You will have no idea what your temps are pre-turbo or right at the manifold. That is the temp that matters, otherwise you are just guessing.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your EGT's are roughly 200 degrees less after your turbo but it varies on what your doing. Mounting it on the manifold or the up-pipe before your turbo is what you need to do to get readings that will matter to you.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Mine is mounted in the DP.That is where the bung was welded from the factory.I just keep an eye on it when towing.I try not to get over 950* if I can help it.I figure at most ,it cant be more than 300* difference.Just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM

The "Banks" egt I had with my six gun on the 7.3 was in the down pipe. When I got a hold of banks they claimed it was calibrated for this position.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM

the manifold give you a more accurate reading. When its in the DP is gonna be about 200-300 degrees cooler vs. the manifold.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Temps can be as much as 500 different between the manifold and down pipe... RubberDuck (not sure if he's a member here) did some testing in his OBS while running a gauge in both spots.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

If you know the temperature difference between the location of the sensor and the manifold, wouldn't it be a matter of simple math to know what temperature it is at the manifold?
It would be a lot less risky to drill and tap at the down pipe for a DIY person doing it the first time.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

The temperate difference between the downpipe and the pre-turbo location are not going to simply be a number that you "know". Not to go too deep into it ... but the temperature difference between the two locations is a dependent on both the differences in pressure and in heat content (enthalpy). Basically, the temperature difference between these locations is going to be a function of how much work the exhaust is doing on the turbine-end of the turbo ... as well as conductive heat losses through the plumbing on the way.

If the purpose of watching EGTs is to protect the turbo... then monitor upstream of the turbo. The amount of uncertainty of the relationship between EGTs upstream and downstream of the turbo is so large that monitoring it downstream would be unnecessarily limiting.

You might just end up ignoring the parameter in the end ... if you decide a "safe" number is 500 degrees difference but the truck isn't fast enough for you or can't tow long enough then you might just decide this week that 400 degrees is probably safe enough ... or 300 ... or you'll just drive it until it performs like you like and set the limit there.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas360 View Post
If you know the temperature difference between the location of the sensor and the manifold, wouldn't it be a matter of simple math to know what temperature it is at the manifold?
It would be a lot less risky to drill and tap at the down pipe for a DIY person doing it the first time.

I think it is pretty much worthless in the down pipe. It is easy to drill the manifold or up-pipes. How do you know the temperature difference between the two locations? Each truck is different. That is something I wouldn't guess on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.