Explain Synthetic Oil??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Explain Synthetic Oil???

What are the advantages? Benefits? I keep hearing about it...can someone explain?.......I run Rotella, is synthetic better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to snakyjake
Question

I look forward to other answers...but here's mine...

Synthetics excel in the wider range of viscosity index modifiers. That's how you are able to get a 0w-40 weight oil. If that was to be done with petroleum, the modifiers would break down and start forming sludge. This is why you read synthetic is best for wider temperatures, or extreme cold, or hot temperatures.

I've heard people say synthetic improves gas mileage, but I don't understand how. The viscosity is the same as conventional oil, so how is it giving more MPG?

People have also said it lubricates better. But I never learned how and why. Is it really more slippery and better lubricating? How? Why?

I've also read about base stocks. Something about synthetics having higher quality oil. Not exactly sure what that means. The base stock of something non-synthetic? Is it possible that conventional oils are using something of higher quality base stock too?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can explain why, but I know in my previous gasser I did get better millage running synthetic. It also started way better in the cold. -30-40 f
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

here is a quick read on synthetic
Howstuffworks "What's new in synthetic oil technology?"

If you are referring to me and others talking about AMSOIL synthetic.. its because this: It lasts up to a year and like 30k miles. There are plenty of members on here, including Hank, that can attest to this. It lasts longer, gets rid of sludge (as well as doesn't FORM sludge in the first place), and doesn't break down under heat and stress like traditional oil.

Downsides? It costs a few bucks more.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM

And this synthetic oil is made for all applications on the truck? a.k. engine oil, transmission oil, differential. Where can you get it? What is a good brand? Elaborate on anything else if needed. I just started hearing about this so I apologize if I sound...well new.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

LOL you've never heard of synthetics???

You can buy synthetic brake fluid (his a higher boiling point, supposedly better for lines), power steering fluid (again, higher boiling point, better lubrication), oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, etc. Generally, I'm a synthetic fan. But the thing is in most cases (not all) you need to make sure ALL of the traditional spirits lube is out before you put in the synthetic.

As far as doing it to motors, sometimes people have issues when their vehicle has too many miles that how thin and free-flowing the synthetic is it can cause oil leaks to sprout. And once you put in synthetic, you can NOT go back to conventional oil.

I'm all for synthetics in my cars though. Just research what your putting it into first because SOME times, that particular car part you want to put it into doesn't work well w/ synthetics.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks, for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

No prob.. hope you find the answers you are searching for
Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In many ways, synthetic oils are the "answer to the nonexistent problem" (an old Jeff Cooper expression) because even though they they withstand extreme temperatures and pressures for the most part, we never expose our oils to those extremes anyway

But, why not play it safe. just in case, and use the best thing you have available. On the other hand, dino oil will serve you just as well if you wanted to save the money I'm sure....
Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

I've using synthetics (starting with Mobil 1) back in the early eighties. I was able to see for myself firsthand that it was more slippery in my air cooled 920 Yamaha. The crankcase and transmission shared the same oil.When shifting (hot or cold),my left toes could feel the differance shifting gears AND it would stay that way thru the entire life of the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.