Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Transmission Rebuild shops? 4r100

10K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  nighthawk285 
#1 ·
I thought I would throw this question out to some of the Performance folks.

I've been expecting my tranny to go on me for a couple years now.. 190K Stock.. Well Sunday heading out for Deer hunting the day finally came..

I think I know where I'm going but it's a 160 Mile one way trip that I'll have to tow it. Bob mock's in Cottage Grove so far has my vote.. He Sounds to be very competent, and a nice built Tranny, Machined for the Extra Clutches, a decent TC, and a Tranny Cooler installed for ~$3400

What are the options for me in the Portland Metro Area???

I've got a Chip from GOS Performance.. 75HP econ, 60hp Econ Tow, 30hp Heavy Tow, and a 101 Play setting. I replaced the turbo a year or two back and did some slight mods for that.. nothing too hot.

But the Truck is either in the Woods or tied to a Heavy trailer..
32' Toy hauler full of Liquids pulling up Logging Roads to Cat Camp really seams to heat things up quite a bit, I've gotten it up to 250, 260 degree's almost monthly during Cat hunting season last year before I have to pull over and Let her cool down.

Or I'll haul rock or sand in a Dump trailer.. I think the heaviest was 24K.. that was when I ment to ask for 10K but instead asked for 10 tons of rock..:doh: (talk about a bad mistake, I'm surprized the trailer made it home that day!)

Anyways.. I want a Good one that I won't have to worry about.... Any input is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you don't plan on doing much for mods to make more power I'd say it'd probably be an OK option. Nearly every time I've heard someone say they went to their local guy to have a tranny built by someone that claims they can "build" a tranny, 6 months later they are back on here having to go through it again. And for that price installed I doubt you're getting much for better parts. I'd bite the bullet and go for a BTS. But that's just me and based off of what I've seen on these forums over the last 10 years.

#12 ·
Yeah but Aamco doesn't provide much for a "built" tranny.

Brian at BTS has a big reputation for covering anything. I purchased my tranny from BTS probably 5 or 6 years ago. They have a 2 year unlimited miles, unlimited hp warranty. A couple weeks ago I was drag racing at the track, ran a 12.6, then a 12.8 with a HUGE 275hp shot of nitrous (and I don't mean it was a 275 jet but that I dynoed at an extra 275hp with the nitrous) that hit instantly as I don't have a progressive controller. I busted something in the tranny and it's getting picked up today to be shipped back. When I asked him if he could just send me the parts so I could fix it because I couldn't afford the shipping both ways right now he said he wanted to install all the updates he's got including a bunch of new forged parts and told me to just call to have it picked up once I get it out. Sounds like he's not only going to cover the fixing the tranny but possibly cover the shipping as well. I'm not 100% sure on the shipping yet but he is going to cover fixing it at least.

So moral of the story if I'm abusing it with a huge shock load of nitrous running the power thorugh it I am on the strip and he's still going to fix it 5+ years later, yeah I think he's got a warranty. :D
I agree with GTS 100%. I just installed a BTS in my truck on Friday. had it shipped to me and did the install myself. This trans is absolutely amazing. Im definitely not going to worry about this trans breaking, if it does, i know i will be taken care of.

This subject hurts. My original trans went out about 92k miles. Had the trans rebuilt with the best local place I could find and had them do a "Heavy duty Build".

My truck is now sitting in my garage at 109k miles with a slipping TC AND Clutches with temps always over 200 degs... The trans shop wont fix it because the truck is modified, even though it was when they did the rebuild.

Tow it home and get a real trans if you can take the time. Cary got me taken care of.
This is the exact reason i went with a BTS. I only wanted to spend the money ONE TIME. It was kinda tough to explain this to my wife, but she finally caught on. $4100 sounded better than $7000!

#4 ·
I thought I would throw this question out to some of the Performance folks.

I've been expecting my tranny to go on me for a couple years now.. 190K Stock.. Well Sunday heading out for Deer hunting the day finally came..

I think I know where I'm going but it's a 160 Mile one way trip that I'll have to tow it. Bob mock's in Cottage Grove so far has my vote.. He Sounds to be very competent, and a nice built Tranny, Machined for the Extra Clutches, a decent TC, and a Tranny Cooler installed for ~$3400

What are the options for me in the Portland Metro Area???

I've got a Chip from GOS Performance.. 75HP econ, 60hp Econ Tow, 30hp Heavy Tow, and a 101 Play setting. I replaced the turbo a year or two back and did some slight mods for that.. nothing too hot.

But the Truck is either in the Woods or tied to a Heavy trailer..
32' Toy hauler full of Liquids pulling up Logging Roads to Cat Camp really seams to heat things up quite a bit, I've gotten it up to 250, 260 degree's almost monthly during Cat hunting season last year before I have to pull over and Let her cool down.

Or I'll haul rock or sand in a Dump trailer.. I think the heaviest was 24K.. that was when I ment to ask for 10K but instead asked for 10 tons of rock..:doh: (talk about a bad mistake, I'm surprized the trailer made it home that day!)

Anyways.. I want a Good one that I won't have to worry about.... Any input is appreciated.
Call Mike or Keven at Oregon Transmission Center, they are the best in this area. I have yet to have a warranty on a 4R100, even in a tuned truck.

#6 ·
Yeah but Aamco doesn't provide much for a "built" tranny.

Brian at BTS has a big reputation for covering anything. I purchased my tranny from BTS probably 5 or 6 years ago. They have a 2 year unlimited miles, unlimited hp warranty. A couple weeks ago I was drag racing at the track, ran a 12.6, then a 12.8 with a HUGE 275hp shot of nitrous (and I don't mean it was a 275 jet but that I dynoed at an extra 275hp with the nitrous) that hit instantly as I don't have a progressive controller. I busted something in the tranny and it's getting picked up today to be shipped back. When I asked him if he could just send me the parts so I could fix it because I couldn't afford the shipping both ways right now he said he wanted to install all the updates he's got including a bunch of new forged parts and told me to just call to have it picked up once I get it out. Sounds like he's not only going to cover the fixing the tranny but possibly cover the shipping as well. I'm not 100% sure on the shipping yet but he is going to cover fixing it at least.

So moral of the story if I'm abusing it with a huge shock load of nitrous running the power thorugh it I am on the strip and he's still going to fix it 5+ years later, yeah I think he's got a warranty. :D

#9 ·
This subject hurts. My original trans went out about 92k miles. Had the trans rebuilt with the best local place I could find and had them do a "Heavy duty Build".

My truck is now sitting in my garage at 109k miles with a slipping TC AND Clutches with temps always over 200 degs... The trans shop wont fix it because the truck is modified, even though it was when they did the rebuild.

Tow it home and get a real trans if you can take the time. Cary got me taken care of.

#10 ·
That's pretty much the typical story I've heard time and time again from the guy that went to the "local tranny shop that says they can build a strong tranny."

Sorry to hear of your troubles man!

#11 ·
Mike at oregon transmission center can build you any level of trans you want, and provide a warranty as well. It sounds like your gonna get a pretty good deal though. The 4R100 is not the space shuttle, so you'll probably be just fine with those upgrades in a stock or mildly tuned truck.

#13 ·
I had mocks do mine 2 years ago and it's doin fine. I know he used to do the trannies for some of the guys that race at the grove. I told him just to build it so it won't happen again.

#14 ·
You can have a BTS ordered and shipped to your house. Or you can get a BTS from a somewhat local buy up in Tacoma. hit up Northwest Ford Diesels and he will find you.

#15 ·
COTTAGE GROVE — A private memorial will be held for Robert Dennis “Bob” Mock of Cottage Grove, who died Sept. 17 of cancer. He was 64.

He was born Jan. 31, 1946, in Eugene to Robert and Ilene Miller Mock. He married Carol Ann Tucker in Eugene on Sept. 22, 1968.

He was a graduate of Lowell High School and earned associate degrees at Lane Community College in diesel and automotive. He worked at Georgia-Pacific in Eugene and at Bohemia in Culp Creek before founding Mock’s Transmission in 1987 in Cottage Grove.

Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Davina Donathon of Eugene; a son, Robert E.L. Mock of Cottage Grove; three brothers, David of Mesa, Ariz., Steve of Lowell and Stan of Oregon; a sister, Carol Franklin of Brownsville; and one grandchild.

Darn Shame

#16 ·
BTS all the way.. you wont beat his warranty.. there are threads and threads of awesome stories about how people that had their bts's forever and when they finally let go Brian covers the cost in almost every way :)

#19 ·
You guys know this is a 7 year old thread right? Looks like bparker458 only commented because the shop owner died.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.