Oregon Transmission Rebuild shops? 4r100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oregon Transmission Rebuild shops? 4r100

I thought I would throw this question out to some of the Performance folks.

I've been expecting my tranny to go on me for a couple years now.. 190K Stock.. Well Sunday heading out for Deer hunting the day finally came..

I think I know where I'm going but it's a 160 Mile one way trip that I'll have to tow it. Bob mock's in Cottage Grove so far has my vote.. He Sounds to be very competent, and a nice built Tranny, Machined for the Extra Clutches, a decent TC, and a Tranny Cooler installed for ~$3400

What are the options for me in the Portland Metro Area???

I've got a Chip from GOS Performance.. 75HP econ, 60hp Econ Tow, 30hp Heavy Tow, and a 101 Play setting. I replaced the turbo a year or two back and did some slight mods for that.. nothing too hot.

But the Truck is either in the Woods or tied to a Heavy trailer..
32' Toy hauler full of Liquids pulling up Logging Roads to Cat Camp really seams to heat things up quite a bit, I've gotten it up to 250, 260 degree's almost monthly during Cat hunting season last year before I have to pull over and Let her cool down.

Or I'll haul rock or sand in a Dump trailer.. I think the heaviest was 24K.. that was when I ment to ask for 10K but instead asked for 10 tons of rock.. (talk about a bad mistake, I'm surprized the trailer made it home that day!)

Anyways.. I want a Good one that I won't have to worry about.... Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you don't plan on doing much for mods to make more power I'd say it'd probably be an OK option. Nearly every time I've heard someone say they went to their local guy to have a tranny built by someone that claims they can "build" a tranny, 6 months later they are back on here having to go through it again. And for that price installed I doubt you're getting much for better parts. I'd bite the bullet and go for a BTS. But that's just me and based off of what I've seen on these forums over the last 10 years.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Conservative and Proud

Does he provide a warranty as well?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyw View Post
I thought I would throw this question out to some of the Performance folks.

I've been expecting my tranny to go on me for a couple years now.. 190K Stock.. Well Sunday heading out for Deer hunting the day finally came..

I think I know where I'm going but it's a 160 Mile one way trip that I'll have to tow it. Bob mock's in Cottage Grove so far has my vote.. He Sounds to be very competent, and a nice built Tranny, Machined for the Extra Clutches, a decent TC, and a Tranny Cooler installed for ~$3400

What are the options for me in the Portland Metro Area???

I've got a Chip from GOS Performance.. 75HP econ, 60hp Econ Tow, 30hp Heavy Tow, and a 101 Play setting. I replaced the turbo a year or two back and did some slight mods for that.. nothing too hot.

But the Truck is either in the Woods or tied to a Heavy trailer..
32' Toy hauler full of Liquids pulling up Logging Roads to Cat Camp really seams to heat things up quite a bit, I've gotten it up to 250, 260 degree's almost monthly during Cat hunting season last year before I have to pull over and Let her cool down.

Or I'll haul rock or sand in a Dump trailer.. I think the heaviest was 24K.. that was when I ment to ask for 10K but instead asked for 10 tons of rock.. (talk about a bad mistake, I'm surprized the trailer made it home that day!)

Anyways.. I want a Good one that I won't have to worry about.... Any input is appreciated.
Call Mike or Keven at Oregon Transmission Center, they are the best in this area. I have yet to have a warranty on a 4R100, even in a tuned truck.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
Call Mike or Keven at Oregon Transmission Center, they are the best in this area. I have yet to have a warranty on a 4R100, even in a tuned truck.
Aamco actually provides a warranty.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Yeah but Aamco doesn't provide much for a "built" tranny.

Brian at BTS has a big reputation for covering anything. I purchased my tranny from BTS probably 5 or 6 years ago. They have a 2 year unlimited miles, unlimited hp warranty. A couple weeks ago I was drag racing at the track, ran a 12.6, then a 12.8 with a HUGE 275hp shot of nitrous (and I don't mean it was a 275 jet but that I dynoed at an extra 275hp with the nitrous) that hit instantly as I don't have a progressive controller. I busted something in the tranny and it's getting picked up today to be shipped back. When I asked him if he could just send me the parts so I could fix it because I couldn't afford the shipping both ways right now he said he wanted to install all the updates he's got including a bunch of new forged parts and told me to just call to have it picked up once I get it out. Sounds like he's not only going to cover the fixing the tranny but possibly cover the shipping as well. I'm not 100% sure on the shipping yet but he is going to cover fixing it at least.

So moral of the story if I'm abusing it with a huge shock load of nitrous running the power thorugh it I am on the strip and he's still going to fix it 5+ years later, yeah I think he's got a warranty.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
Aamco actually provides a warranty.

Sorry, they provide a Warranty, point was in the many 4R100's I've had them do, I've yet to have an issue, clear?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
Sorry, they provide a Warranty, point was in the many 4R100's I've had them do, I've yet to have an issue, clear?
Yah we're clear!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 AM

This subject hurts. My original trans went out about 92k miles. Had the trans rebuilt with the best local place I could find and had them do a "Heavy duty Build".

My truck is now sitting in my garage at 109k miles with a slipping TC AND Clutches with temps always over 200 degs... The trans shop wont fix it because the truck is modified, even though it was when they did the rebuild.

Tow it home and get a real trans if you can take the time. Cary got me taken care of.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InExactAxis View Post
This subject hurts. My original trans went out about 92k miles. Had the trans rebuilt with the best local place I could find and had them do a "Heavy duty Build".

My truck is now sitting in my garage at 109k miles with a slipping TC AND Clutches with temps always over 200 degs... The trans shop wont fix it because the truck is modified, even though it was when they did the rebuild.

Tow it home and get a real trans if you can take the time. Cary got me taken care of.
That's pretty much the typical story I've heard time and time again from the guy that went to the "local tranny shop that says they can build a strong tranny."

Sorry to hear of your troubles man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.