Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

playing the mpg game with what to go with

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
ok so last week i put up the question what type of propane set up to go with because i was trying to get more mpgs.and someone from the site told me i should look more at water/meth then propane for mpg...now my thing is i want the power dont get me wrong...cant get enaough of it heck im 23..but on the other hand i hate the way the prices on fuel is goin..so i need as much mpg as i can get...im goin to get a chip pre set with one of these from itp....now what set up do i get....PRO VS CON.....
propane is coastly...more then double water/meth.and im told it can mess up ur engin...
water/meth seems great but i cant find anything saying that it will help my mpg....but i love the hp/price rate.

so how can i get the most mpg and add some power to my 02 7.3...

#2 ·
I cannot remember which diesel magazine it was, but they took a Ford Diesel and put a propane injection setup on it and gained 10 mpg. I can't remember if it was a 6.0 or a 7.3 either. I know I still have it, i'll see if I can find it for you and let you know. Anyway, anything can mess up your engine, it just depends on how you moderate it's use. If you want more miles per gallon, run the propane only when you're cruising. You can turn it off and switch water/meth to do something like drag race, or just play with the truck and have fun. I doubt that water/meth would gain near the mpg's that propane would. I believe it is more for adding some power and cooling exhaust gas temps rather than mileage gain. What do you have done to the truck over stock as of now?

#5 ·
so now how does it work runing propane for mpg...ho do u set it up?and aslo do u know how hard it is to change it from mpg to power

#6 ·
Bully dog's kit is designed to only allow propane into the engine when it is under boost. It shouldn't do anything at idle, but once you get on it or cruise the highway under 5 or so lbs it'll be working. It has a regulator to convert the liquid propane into gas form for injection. In the magazine I mentioned in my previous post the article came from Diesel World Magazine's November 2006 issue. They put the system on an F350 6.0, year unknown. The truck was a work truck, heavily loaded with large filled tool boxes. After a couple of weeks of driving they documented an average of 10-12 mpg on this particular truck! They burned 1.5 tanks of fuel for every 6 gallon tank of propane. It was a CC Dually so it probably had the 38 gallon tank on. So basically 57 gallons of fuel and 6 gallons of propane. Bad thing is they gave no mileage numbers before or after the system, they only gave the numbers gained. It doesn't mean that you'll slap on propane and get the same 10-12 or more gain. It could just be this particular truck and how heavy it is. It may be a lot less of a gain on a lighter truck. Reason being the heavy truck is working harder and my not be burning all of the injected fuel, but the propane comes in and helps burn it all completely increasing it's efficiency. On a lighter truck it may already be burning most of the fuel completely so the injected propane can't do a whole lot more to increase the efficiency already so it just adds power. I would go with the propane in your case, but make sure you get a good kit like the bully dog, or MSD. Don't buy some poor mans home brewed deal.

#7 ·
With PMR's you are playing with fire, stacking propane on top of a chip... Propane WILL advance cylinder pressures and powdered metal rods (in your truck) don't like them, they get tired and then go for a walk... OUT THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK.

If you do go with propane, get a tune written for propane.

Water/meth will do nothing for your MPG. It is great for cooling EGT's and a mild HP boost (40% meth was worth 60hp on my truck). I run water 90% of the time, towing 10-13,000#'s in my race setting and cant push EGT's over 1250-1300 on the longest of pulls.

#8 ·
I think both would be the way to go, not necessarily at the same time, but when you need either, your ready for it.

Gord.

#9 ·
Don't forget about nitrous too. If your getting a chip, nitrous will get you some additional power and help burn that wasted fuel that is coverting into soot. a small 30-50 hp shot of nitrous can be used along with water/meth to cool your EGT's down and get you a few MPGs. Just a thought. Personnaly, I'm not a big propane fan. I've heard of propane doing some hoaky things even when set at the minimal settings. Whichever route you take, just take it easy and don't push it too far. You can get a NX kit that comes with a programmer or, if you want to still get the 6 pos, you can order it w/out the NX chip. Yeah, I know nitrous is pretty expencive when compared to propane, but you can do a little more w/ the nitrous and you can turn that monkey up if/when you goto the track and have some fun!!!

#10 ·
Good lord guys... PMR TRUCKS AND DRUGS ARE BAD... Trust me I have seen more then a few windowed blocks from drugs... Just say no...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.