Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Upgrade my 02 Help

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Justin@DP-Tuner 
#1 ·
Hey all, i need some advice. Im ready to upgrade my 02, or should I ? She has 215K on the clock, has had the typical repairs, Fuel tank mods, Injector cups, Uppipes, MBRP exhaust. I very rarely tow. I have owned her since 2007 and in almost 200K miles, I have only towed twice. I drive 95% interstate about 500 miles weekly. I want more torque and power with minimal smoke, increased fuel mileage if possible. And she's plenty loud already. Reliabilty and drivability are the major concerns for me. I am going to have the tranny rebuilt, most likely locally ( just in case of problems).

My questions are,
1. Best choice of injectors (stock or modified) ?
2. Turbo ( rebuild mine or upgrade) ?
3. Supporting Mods ?
4. Tunes ( PHP seems more flexible) or have DP tuner (6 position i thinK) reburned ?
5. Anything else ?

#3 ·
Your questions 1-4 depend on what your HP goal is for the truck... and secondly if you use a local shop to rebuild the tranny, make SURE he know 4r100's inside an out... its a very finicky transmission and I have seem some "reputable" transmission shops build 4r100s that end up failing very quickly..

#4 ·
Figure out the HP goal first, and then you can build an accurate parts list. We can help you out here if you would like. We build power combos for different HP levels all the time and know what works best together.

Most people shoot for around 400HP, which is achievable without spending a fortune. A set of injectors, a turbo upgrade, and fuel system upgrades will get you there.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail, PM, or phone call if you would like me to put a package together for you.

#5 ·
160/30's, ww2, four line feed from Corey, hydra for sure and if you do local rebuild they better know their chit...I spent 3k for a trans that lasted 20k miles. Now spending 4K for wyse stage 2. Do it right the first time

#10 ·
My cousin went through the same horror story.. I wouldn't let anyone touch a 4r100 unless I know they have built them in the past with success. I FEEL YOU :(

Reactions: strokin-7.3
#6 ·
Very good points, especially about the tranny and thats my hesitation for a local job.

#11 ·
I would honestly get a stage one from Corey. Depending on where you live if you hurry we can go get ours together and split fuel lol.
Justin,

Thanks, I purchased my chip from you guys years ago and haven't had any problems.
Tuning aside, because everyone has their own opinion, the downfall of a dp chip is only DP tunes for it. Except maybe the f6 or is it the f8? Idk but I just didn't like the idea of only having one tuner option.

Reactions: GaryR
#9 ·
Justin,

Thanks, I purchased my chip from you guys years ago and haven't had any problems.

#12 ·
No problem. Glad you are enjoying it.

I would honestly get a stage one from Corey. Depending on where you live if you hurry we can go get ours together and split fuel lol.

Tuning aside, because everyone has their own opinion, the downfall of a dp chip is only DP tunes for it. Except maybe the f6 or is it the f8? Idk but I just didn't like the idea of only having one tuner option.
The F6 and F8 chips can both be tuned by anyone. It is our F5 that can only be tuned by us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.