Upgrades for the 99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Upgrades for the 99

Ok so as of some of you know I recently picked up a 96 obs 4x4. The motor and tranny has been rebuilt yada yada. The other day I decided to pull my chip and monitor off of my 99 250. Well I pulled everything off and low and behold the transmission started slipping. Called around and have gotten a pretty good quote on getting it fixed.

The motor in the 99 runs good but the injectors are horribly loud. I dunno why but my 96 is nearly as quiet as a 6.0 is.

My dad likes my 99 better and suggested selling the 96 and rebuilding the 99. Well I would have enough money to rebuild the motor and trans but would rather have stage IIs, a new turbo, and the transmission rebuilt with a upgraded torque converter and shift kit.

I have two questions:

#1. What would yall do. Rebuild the motor all stock, with the transmission rebuilt also with a better tc and shift kit.

Or, Get the new transmission and do turbo and injectors?

#2. What is a good injector/ turbo combination. I would like SS Stage IIs, but don't know about the turbo.

Thanks for reading, sorry its kind of scrambled. What would be great is if I Could keep both trucks and just come up with the money for the trans on my own. Haven't decided on which one I am going to keep but the 99 will have a new transmission in it soon.

I like the 99 over the 96 because of one main thing. Its faster.

I like the 96 because parts as in headlights, tailights, body parts, are easy to find and cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 AM

bump .
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 AM

Well if you going to do a lot of mods. Make sure you buy a gooood TC and a VB.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 AM

Definitely about the tc and vb. Got those in the works now. Im trying to plan ahead. The trans is slipping. I don't want any questions on what I am going to do.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well, I would rebuild the motor stock, cause you have forged rods in yours....
You could send your injectors to Rosewood diesel and have him do a good rebuilt set of stage 1s or 2s with newer parts in yours.
single shot injectors are gonna be louder than split shots(when they are working right)
Get a john wood valve body($225.00), and a transgo tugger shift kit(its the one me and scott both have)
If you have an Early99, i cant remember LOL, get a D66 from River City trubo out of Arkansas.
If you have a late 99 or up look at getting a 38R. you might find good deals online for a used one, but I am always wary of buying used turbos....

thats my take on it. good thing is, you have another truck you could theoretically be driving while the SD is getting fixed.....if you dont have to sell it first. but I would think you would sell the OBS first.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
well, I would rebuild the motor stock, cause you have forged rods in yours....
You could send your injectors to Rosewood diesel and have him do a good rebuilt set of stage 1s or 2s with newer parts in yours.
single shot injectors are gonna be louder than split shots(when they are working right)
Get a john wood valve body($225.00), and a transgo tugger shift kit(its the one me and scott both have)
If you have an Early99, i cant remember LOL, get a D66 from River City trubo out of Arkansas.
If you have a late 99 or up look at getting a 38R. you might find good deals online for a used one, but I am always wary of buying used turbos....

thats my take on it. good thing is, you have another truck you could theoretically be driving while the SD is getting fixed.....if you dont have to sell it first. but I would think you would sell the OBS first.
Yea I would have to sell the OBS first. Unless I win the lottery or my dad spots the money while we get everything fixed. That is to much a risk right now for both of us with the way the economy is.

I talked to Scott the other day about the trans. Shift kit, vb, and tc will be installed on the tranny.

The truck is a late 99. Am I correct in my thinking that I won't have to have big oil added with the stage ones? Thats the only thing that concerns me. I want to have all the supporting mods done.

I figured with the trans done, new turbo and injectors, with some custom tunes the truck would run pretty good.

The thing is I don't think I will get enough from the OBS to rebuild the motor, trans, AND add turbo and injectors. I want turbo and injectors
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

Bump............. .
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
do it littl by little. I dont think you really need the engine rebuilt. its probably ok, unless its really using alot of oil and you have massive oil leaks. you could do injectors and turbo and trans. Or you could just do injecotrs and tranny. the turbo will withstand for a bit, just dont hammer on it and you wont burn it up.

Big oil is not necessary with your 17* pump. it should handle it ok for the most part. Scott could test ICP on it and make sure its a strong pump. an Adrenailn pump from dieselsite is 589.00. you could look into upgrading that down the road too. not have to do it now.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Ive been talking to Jim Rose and a few other people and it looks like that the stage Is is gonna be the best way to go for me right now. Not looking for tons of power but I know with stage Is, some custom tunes, and my tranny taken care of it will be a huge power difference. Or at least I think so.

Later on I could add the 38R turbo and some other stuff. Looking at a regulated return now to cure the #8 injector issue.

Gotta get my 4" exhaust though to help with the egts. Plus it will sound better.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Bump for anymore suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.