Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Boost gauge question

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  roccodart440 
#1 ·
I want to make sure my boost gauge is working correctly and that my turbo is working right as well.

It seems to flutter and then it comes up to a steady boost reading. Normal?

Going down the road with nothing in tow and on the flat ground it reads zero. Normal?

MY EGT's are around 600 at cruise speed. Up to 800 on a grade of with a little more throttle.

Trans temp 150ish.

#4 ·
mine does the same thing, I assume it's normal

#5 ·
Cruising at 60 mph in my economy tune i only make 2 or 3 psi

#7 ·
what kind of boost do you see at the same speed with a different tune on Kyle?

#8 ·
Usually about the same. Thats with cruise control if i go to 140 extreme it might make 5 psi. Ill test it out for sure when I go out

#9 ·
ok good deal keep us posted.
I heard that stock these trucks boost at like 10-15psi when cruising at 60-70mph?

#13 ·
Ok cool man thank you. Didn't know that

Ok I checked it out in 80 hp daily I run about 2-3 psi. In my 120 race or 140 extreme I see 2-4. All of this is at 60 mph. It wont really go up much more than that unless your on the loud pedal a tad. However, if Im making about 3 psi with cruise and I hit the throttle a bit it will shoot up a bit. All depends on throttle position and percentage. My gauge will flutter a bit if Im accelerating but if I am cruising, it will remain steady.

Rocco, I have to bet your reading are normal. Mine flutters a bit then when up to speed steady. My egts run about 550-600. Sounds normal the only thing I think you should see is a few psi towing. What is your speed and rpm that you were talking about in that towing situation?
Thanks a lot for the info Kyle :icon_ford:

#12 ·
Ok I checked it out in 80 hp daily I run about 2-3 psi. In my 120 race or 140 extreme I see 2-4. All of this is at 60 mph. It wont really go up much more than that unless your on the loud pedal a tad. However, if Im making about 3 psi with cruise and I hit the throttle a bit it will shoot up a bit. All depends on throttle position and percentage. My gauge will flutter a bit if Im accelerating but if I am cruising, it will remain steady.

Rocco, I have to bet your reading are normal. Mine flutters a bit then when up to speed steady. My egts run about 550-600. Sounds normal the only thing I think you should see is a few psi towing. What is your speed and rpm that you were talking about in that towing situation?

#14 ·
Mine doesnt really make any boost till about maybe 1500 or 1600 rpm. If cruise control is on it doesnt give it much it much gas with cruise control unless you go up a hill or something so thats why when cruising it dont boost much

#16 ·
Thats exactly right

#17 ·
My gauge has never fluttered.
3-5 avg boost on cruise
10-12 merging on to hwy from on ramp 40-50% throttle
most i I have ever seen is 28 and surgin like a mofo

#19 ·
I put a autometer gauge set on mine recently and got a lot of gauge flutter. It basicly needs to be a liquid filled gauge to stop all that flutter. I got a partial fix by putting a fuel filter on the tube to gauge. I used a plastic fuel filter and it reduced the gague flutter by maybe 75%. My boost pressure is totally dependant upon throttle setting, can be at 0 at 70mph.

#21 ·
It must be different w/ the 6.0's then. Because everybody I talk to w/ 7.3 says 6-7psi cruising on the highway. But boost is pretty much always dependent upon throttle positioning, load, and rpm.

Doing 70 i make about 6 or 7 psi but you have a 6.0 so the turbo is electronic and everything. Suprisingly I figured cruising the 6.0 would make a good amount for fuel economy
Making boost is bad for economy. Thats probably why those 6.0's generally get better mpg on the highway than most 7.3.

#20 ·
Doing 70 i make about 6 or 7 psi but you have a 6.0 so the turbo is electronic and everything. Suprisingly I figured cruising the 6.0 would make a good amount for fuel economy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.