Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

does the 7.3 ever need an emergencey air shut off ?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  7.3 powerchoke 
#1 ·
I know why they use them ,,,but what is the cause .. and is it smart to install one ////just wondering ? or is there something to do to keep it from happening .. THANK IN ADVANCE.... and if it happened could I pull 6637 filter and choke with my hand ,,or is that not a good IDEA

#3 ·
are you talking about an engine runaway?

I've never heard of a runaway on a T444E but it does happen with diesels. Your hand probably wouldn't be very effective you'd have to probably toss a towel into the intake plenum once you remove the filter. If you have a manual trans you could shift into high gear and stand on the brakes.

#5 ·
why does it take place ??? T/I/A/

#6 ·
A runaway on a diesel can happen from a couple different reasons. On older mechanical engines if the rack in the fuel pump wasn't set properly they could take off at startup. The most common reason for a diesel to runaway is because the turbo seals fail and the engine sucks oil into the I take and then burns it uncontrollably. It would also be possible with stuck injectors dumping extreme amounts of fuel into the cylinders.

Reactions: ZMANN
#8 ·
More than likely. It's been my experience that stuck injectors just smoke white terrible. But in the right scenario it could happen.

#9 ·
6.0 injectors have been sticking open all the time and it caused hydrolock... Runaway is something more in the older diesels and high performance.

On a 7.3L you would need a special custom sized pvc cap with rubber fitting to block the air intake. Your hand would get sucked in and unless you had a big beach towel, a small grease rag won't work... Videos on YouTube galore to prove it.

#10 ·
A runaway on a 7.3 is a rare occurance being electronically fired. I had a Detroit 2 stroke runaway that I had to choke out with my hands that was a lot of fun.

#12 ·
Thank,s ,, GENT'S !!

#13 ·
As stated above a runaway on a heui 7.3 is very rare .. I can't vouch for sticking injectors on a 7.3 could cause it to run away ... Obviously the principle is possible but it would take serious odds for this to happen ( more likely hit the lotto). Now as far as turbo seals failing on a 7.3 ... And if the oil pushes through the center cartridge to the compressor side of the turbo ... Well say hello to your alternate fuel source and this point your at the mercy of the engine so hold on sweet cheeks (;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.