Hypertech Power Programmer III vs. Edge Evolution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 04:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hypertech Power Programmer III vs. Edge Evolution

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on an Edge Evolution programmer for my '02 Powerstroke. I currently am using a Hypertech Power Programmer III. I would like to get some feed back from people that have used either one, or both to help make my decision on what direction to take. I woulld like a little more performance, but not at the cost of reliability or driveability issues. I also am not trying to blow black smoke every time I accelerate.

Here is my current set up for my truck.
-AFE stage 2 intake
-off brand 4" turbo back exhaust
-Hypertech Power Programmer III,

I use my truck for work and tow long distance about 6 times per year. I like my current set up because I leave the Hyper tech programmer on its max setting and never have to touch it. It also only blows a little smoke when I really mash the throttle. The Hypertech programmer also changes the transmission shift points.

Some specific questions I have.

Does the Edge Evolution adjust the transmission at all?
How are EGTs with the Evolution when towing at its different settings?
Does the Edge adjust for different tire sizes?

Any other info you guys could give would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Um alot of ppl on here don't like edge and neither do I because of all the tranny problems. Maybe try some custom tunes?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I have tried around 6 or 7 different programmers and chips and the Hypertech was by far the weakest, I guess that also means it was the safest. I have not tried the edge so I can’t say anything about it. I know personally I would save my money until I got ready to drop around $300 on a good flip chip. I love the change on the fly capabilities of a chip.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 AM

I have an 02 PSD also an was wondering the same thing but more in the lines of fuel economy and such... Thanks for any help cause i will be making my purchase in the near future...
Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM

I have the Edge Juice on my truck right now but I do not like it very much. My dad has a stock 02 that runs almost as fast as it. I am going to make my dad go straight to the DP or another custom tunes. Yes the Edge Evolution does tune the trans but not like a cutom tune. You can also put custom tunes on the Evolution I hear.

Running stock(Tune) on my truck I get about 14 MPG. Running like a bat out of hell on the top tune around town I get 15 and running econ on the freeway/around town I get around 18-19. Thats without Exhaust or Intake.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
I have tried around 6 or 7 different programmers and chips and the Hypertech was by far the weakest, I guess that also means it was the safest. I have not tried the edge so I canít say anything about it. I know personally I would save my money until I got ready to drop around $300 on a good flip chip. I love the change on the fly capabilities of a chip.
I had tried the Superchips before I used the Hypertech. Superchips made more power, but it also made a lot more smoke. I really am debating on getting the Edge because I can replace my Hypertech and basically put no money out of pocket. If the Edge product is not going to give me any benefits over my Hypertech, I will probably leave everything as is.

Still looking for more info if anybody has some.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If the Superchips SCMT made too much smoke for you then you’d better just stick with the hypertech, the SCMT was the 2nd weakest I have ever tried and I had to look real close to see any smoke coming from it. The high power stuff makes enough smoke to make other vehicles start turning on headlights and can cover a 4 lane highway.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Get custom tunes they will do you the best
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 AM

The Edge Evo does not make much smoke at all, even on the top tune. If you don't want smoke stay away from the Juice though! haha
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 AM

What do you guys think about the Edge Juice With Attitude. what does a custom tune usualy run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.