Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What tunes should I run on my PHP Hydra?

21K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  00t444e 
#1 ·
Hello,

What tunes should I run on my hydra?

- Best MPG tune for city driving?
- Best MPG tune for freeway driving?
- Best tune for towing?
- Best "fun" tune?

Also, feel free to tell me your tune setup and recommend other tunes for different scenarios! Just trying to get an idea for what I should load onto my Hydra for the start.

Thanks!
- Bryant :ford:

#2 ·
you will most likely get turbo surge in any tune over 100hp. so id stay below that until the turbo is upgraded.

#4 ·
Ok, if I do get surge, then upgrading the turbo housing is what I should do, correct?

#3 ·
On mine I am running
No start
stock
65 tow
80dd
100 performance
1200 high idle

I have 160/30 injectors. That is the reason for the stock tune so I can diagnose problems later on down the road if need be.

#5 ·
A billett compressor wheel is the way to go. Cheaper and you gain some performance

#6 ·
I keep it in the 140 tune all the time, you can get good fuel mileage in this tune if you drive it right.

#10 ·
I average 15-16 mpg.

#11 ·
That's pretty good MPG for 4" lift. I'm averaging about that right now and I have 285/75/16's, ZF6, stock injectors, 4.10 gears, PHP Hydra, S&B intake, Hypermax full exhaust, and Gear Vendors O/D. I haven't been able to see what Hwy MPG I could get with Gear Vendors...all my Interstate since install has been in tow with Boat...right now I have bad turbo surge running with O/D on and boat behind me going up rolling hills. Just bought RR wheel that I need to put in...probably wasted my money Cuz I'll probably want to put in bigger injectors and turbo soon...just haven't figured out which injectors or turbo...not a fan of the Whistler's like 38R...not sure if KC38R would be quiet enough for me...need to find out to see if I need to go T4 turbo route, pending they're quieter...I'm really only concerned with noise at HWY cruising for hrs...which for me running 75-80 puts me just under 2k rpm...Locally and short trips noise wouldn't bother me.

#13 ·
Did your truck come with 4.10 gears or did you put them in? I have never seen a single rear wheel truck with a 6 speed come with 4.10 gears.

#14 ·
The guy that had the truck before me put the 4.10's in...from the records I have on the truck it looked like he put a lift on the truck and bigger tires and swapped in the 4.10's, then he put the truck back to stock suspension after a year or so and 4.10's stayed in. I added the GV due to 4.10's. If I ever step up to running 35" tires I might remove it.

#15 ·
He must have had big tires. I think 3.73 and 35s are about perfect on the 6 speed trucks although sometimes I wish I had 3.55 gears.

#16 ·
I couldn't disagree more. 3:73 and 35" tires suck. I wish I had 4:10 or even 4:30. Make a bigger difference if you upgrade to a larger turbo and injectors

#17 ·
You have an Auto? 35" tires and 3.73's puts you at 77.5mph@2000rpm with ZF6...which would seem perfect for Interstate cruising unloaded if tuned. Loaded I'd say you'd want to be running 2400 rpm which would put you at 67mph if you drop one gear down w/ZF6. That wouldn't seem to bad. I'm thinking the previous owner of my truck didn't have it tuned and it probably felt like a dog with bigger tires so he tried to regain some capability by going to 4.10's before ultimately going back to stock configuration.

#18 ·
No. I have a standard.
To stay in the turbo I have to tow at 55-60 or 75-80. I'm not able to tow from 60-75. I fall below my turbo or I'm rapped out.
Around town it's laggy and I have to slip the clutch or it bogs down on starts.
If or whenever you up grade to a bigger turbo it will be worse on lag.

#19 ·
I have no problems running 35s with 3.73s, it always has plenty of torque and is easy to get moving. I hardly ever use low and usually shift out of first as soon as I get moving.

#21 ·
I'm running 37's and the previous owner put the Banks turbo in the truck. I've noticed a little lag and stuff on start up but it spoils pretty quick.

Now I have a question too, I'm running a CTS2 and my Hydra and I have the 140HP tune on. I've noticed a better MPG since running the tune over my 65HP DD tune.

Is this normal? I have a 2000 F350 with stock clutch and 3.73 gearing too.

#22 ·
Yes that is normal the higher tunes call for more timing which gives you better fuel mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.