Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Garrett ball bearing turbo

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  7.3 powerchoke 
#1 ·
I have installed this ball bearing turbo and it will only run at 19 boost and it started to surg what else can I do or get to stop it from surging

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
You can also have a surge with the stock turbos from letting off on a hard throttle pull or load. The remaining boost in the intake and turbo plumbing wants to go somewhere, and in most cases it tries to against the compressor wheel causing it to flutter or surge. My stock turbo used to do that all the time before I switched 😎

#3 ·
Also did you tighten the waste gate down before install? There known to come from the factory set super loose

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#6 ·
Are you running the 38r cause as stated above the ported housing allows an escape for the boost... I think its most likely you have a stock gtp38 turbo which is why your experiencing surge

#7 ·
He is running a 38r.

So that's why it's odd he's getting surge.

Fwiw manual trucks can suffer from surge at low rpm. Autos aren't as prone to it at low rpms.

Reactions: 7.3 powerchoke
#8 ·
Oh okay... I haven't had experience with the manual trucks so ill bow out of this one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.