Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Final Thoughts on PHP Hydra Chip?

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  rsater1 
#1 ·
Howdy!

Well, I now have the money behind me and am about to pull the trigger on the PHP Hydra chip for my 2000 7.3. I have read very thoroughly about this chip, and it looks like it is a very great, reliable chip, but I still had a few opinion based questions I wanted to run past you guys.

- What are your experiences with it? Good or bad?

- What tune do you recommend to run for best fuel mileage in town? Highway? Best "fun" tune?

- How do I know which tunes are the correct one for my truck?

Thanks for any help you can give!!
- Bryant :ford:

#2 ·
I have had the Hydra for a couple of years. Not one issue and many pros overmy old 6 position chip.

#3 ·
With the hydra you have unlimited access to the standard tunes library. Just buy it and load it up with all the tunes for your hex code and go see what you like for yourself.
Enjoy

#4 ·
only thing I don't like is that for whatever reason my truck doesn't go directly to a smooth idle when slowing down on any of the settings. Stock it is rock solid idle but with the hydra it does the "chug chug chug" for a few seconds before settling to idle.

#7 ·
That's a product of the tune, not the Hydra chip itself.

#5 ·
sounds like a gas er with a cam,, pulled in the store the other day ,and got out and a guy asked if I had it in a lope tune while I was driving ,,lol, he was young

#6 ·
Haha.. It doesn't have any bad effect on the truck though does it?

#12 ·
it might be the tune is calling for increased icp over the stock tune.

I used to have this but threw in a bottle of archoil and the oil pressure stabilizes much quicker now after a hard run.

Reactions: Chatham036
#14 ·
Corey, can you give me the specifics on your PHP chip and guage package deals?

I have a 2000 4x4 7.3 that is stock except for an extra tranny cooler.

I'm looking to add intake, chip, exhaust, and gauge package, with the end goal of being able to better tow my 13,000 lb 5'th wheel, and get better mpg when not towing.

Do you have any advice on what to buy? I kinda like what i see from the PHP Hydra chip that I can flash myself at home instead of paying 40 for each program change.

So far I've had everyone suggest S&B cold air intake, Diamond Eye exhaust kit 4' turbo flow through, and either TS or DP 6 position chip, and as far as gauges, I have not started researching them yet.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

JD Dozier

#17 ·
I have to remember.

I think the gauge/hydra pkg is $775ish shipped. I can't remember.

S&B intake, Hydra, Autometer Factory match triple pillar kit
$1050 shipped.

May want to consider a billet wheel too. Not 100% necessary, but will cure the common surging issues associated with the stock charger.

$255 for diamond eye 4 " turbo back exhaust. No muffler.

#15 ·
Does the PHP Hydra come loaded with tunes or is it empty and you have to load it yourself?

I'm in the same boat, 2000 excursion with ECU code AXD0 early 2000 and only the Hydra will work. I bought a TS6 and was going to load it with PHP tunes but apparently that won't work. I will sell the TS6 and buy a Hydra from Corey.
Pull your ECU and check it's code first.

#16 ·
You have to load them yourself.

All excursions came with pats. It a security feature. That's why the ts chip won't work.

#18 ·
I've changed icp and the ipr what else could cause this ????? SENSORE WISE all wires are good I'M ALL EARS !!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.