Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

366sx-e vs kc38r

19K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
Comparing the 2 whats the differences between them. Im running 250/200 so what has better egt control and back pressure.

#2 ·
Biggest difference, One is drop in the other is T-4 and will need a $1600 kit to be installed not including the turbo.

Question you should ask yourself, Will you ever be going bigger with injectors? If so go T-4. The KC38R (drop in turbo) I believe will be maxed out with 250/200's, maybe too much injector for this turbo.

250/200's id lean more towards the 369sxe if going T-4.

#3 ·
Is the rig a toy, tow pig, or daily driver?

#5 ·
Corey said I think is running 250/200s on his KC38R and that's about as big as you want to go I think he said. That given a 250/200 does not mean power level. Power level with those injectors is due to the tune your running. I think either option would be great for your setup. The KC38R would be a good option for a truck that tows a bit considering its a ball bearing turbo and it's a drop in. They said they were seeing lower back pressure numbers with the KC38R vs standard GTP38R. That's good for power and lower EGTs not to mention lower pressures fighting the valve springs.

#9 ·
The kc38r has a bigger turbine wheel which is why it flows better on the exhaust side than the 38r.

The 38r should be fine to tow with unless your wanting to tow in a 500hp tow tune. A 38r definitely doesn't have the top end flow for drag racing/WOT like the Kc does.

#10 ·
I guess there is one guy out there running a S369sxe spooled up with stock injectors an looks like it works well.

#12 · (Edited)
It's what the video said. I know no more than that. I have a S369sxe in its box still so I do not have any other real world feedback yet.

The S369 has the same turbine as a 366 it just has a larger 69mm inducer than the 66mm on the 366. Considering there is the .91 housing option it may work well with the correct setup depending on truck use. I went with a 1.0 housing as spool up is less of an issue with my setup.

S366sxe - 66.11mm inducer / 91.44 exducer
S369sxe - 69mm inducer / 91.44 exducer

Both have same 73.37mm / 79.75mm turbine wheel.

There is one company that can replace the journal bearing with a ball bearing cartridge for the SXE but it's not very cost affordable.

#14 ·
Non gated. That being said if you had a stock injected truck and never plan to go bigger. The KC turbo is likely the better option.

#17 ·
With 250/200's and if your going to a T4 mount, there is not a better turbo on the market than the s467.7fmw. For good streetability, go with the .90 AR housing.

Keep in mind the s366 and 369sxe's are still a small from 300 series CHRA. Bumping up to the 400 series is better in the long haul.

#19 · (Edited)
There are a few running s369 turbos on 7.3s. I have not seen much feedback yet the ones that are have not been talking about it much. Swamps did say that they built a 7.3 for a customer and used a S369 with 300/200s and put down 670hp/1600ftlb on the engine dyno.

Another guy has 369 with a 1.15machined T4i housing with 238/100s on his excursion. Said it spooled similar to a S366. He had a lot of feedback but I won't clip all that here.

#21 ·
It was a thread on PSA. The feedback of a S369 on a 7.3 is still thin as only a few have given feedback. Quite a few 6.4 and 6.7 guys running the 369 and making big power.

#23 ·
A friend had a 369, .91 housing and 275/100s in his 7.3. Just from riding in it, it spooled very very fast. The truck made 645 on the dyno, was very clean, and had great drivability. Someone bought it and ending up throwing a rod out the side of the block.

#25 ·
Never saw it tow anything but EGTs were normal cruising and even hot rodding. Nothing of what someone might consider too high or out of the ordinary. Compared to my 366 (non sxe), it seemed to run a little cooler on the highway cruising.

#26 ·
Nice i dont drive my truck but 5 to 10k a year i dont hod tod it. I tow my fifth wheel trailer, 4 place snowmobile trailer. Back and forth to work when car in shop dont get wrong that 38r with ww2 runs great just would like a liitle better for towing. When i tow its at 4 lbs of boost on level ground and under 1k egt temps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.