How can I get better mpg on my 2000 with the mods I have? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How can I get better mpg on my 2000 with the mods I have?

I have a 2000 crew cab short bed 4x4 powerstoke with 18" wheels and 325 by 33" tall tires and 3:73 gears. The mods I have done to it are the napa filter, dp tuner chip with the 100 and 140 tunes, 5" stacks with a stock down pipe, and a bd tranny with their 4r100 converter. My dilemma is I get almost 16mpg doing 75mph spinning 2150rpms unloaded and almost 11mpg doing 55mph spinning 1700rpms towing a trailer with a rhino on it and a combined weight of about 3000 pounds. And around town I get roughly 12 to 13 mpgs driving easy for the most part. So my question is with this given set up, I think I should be getting better mpgs and even if I should or shouldn't, how can I get better? I want to ditch the stacks because they just draw unwanted attention so what would be the best exhaust setup for mpg's if it were dumped out the side behind the rear axle like the stock setup. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Those numbers sound pretty dead on to me. IMO anything over 2000rpm is going to suck fuel. I get my best numbers with my chip on the highest setting, keeping rpms under 2grand, light on the foot, and coasting to stops
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM

I second that. Keep the RPM's under 2k. Diesels become more efficient with the more power we can tweak out of them - within reason - so with that in mind - the higher HP settings will generally allow you to reap better fuel - problem is - more power is more fun and the go pedal tends to get a bit heavy. If you can control the weight of the go-pedal - and keep the RPM's under the 2k mark - you will see an increase most likely. Good luck lightening that go-pedal! haha (I try - but fail miserably sometimes - but enjoy the rush!)
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow thank you for the quick replies. I understand that I'm doing pretty good but are you saying i'm just going to have to accept that unless i have a manual single cab, I won't be able to get close to or over 20 at least on the freeway? Thank you again
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 PM

Tire pressure plays a big role too, I'd go as full as they say you can fill them if you can stand the ride. You should be able to get 18.5+ highway. I can get that with a canopy and it full of camping gear, AC on, 60-70 mph and getting on it now and then in the summer time. Year round average>? Still around 16.5 or so.
Drive it slow and get better MPG, no doubt!

Scott P
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tire pressure acceleration is a big one.It takes me a mile before I am at 55.Set the cruise at 62.I really don't care if someone is on my butt.They don't have to pay my fuel bill.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
Tire pressure acceleration is a big one.It takes me a mile before I am at 55.Set the cruise at 62.I really don't care if someone is on my butt.They don't have to pay my fuel bill.
Exactly people get mad all the time at me. They ain't gonna move me so go around lol.

Ive also always been told to make sure the hubs where unlocked. if this helps or not.

I believe running stock tire configurations would give you better mileage to but I dunno prolly not worth it.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know w/my TS chip on the 100 horse setting I get the best mileage. I also have fold up cover on the bed as well. I seem to get the best mileage running 1900-1950 rpms. If I get over 2100 I can watch the fuel gauge drop! One more thing that might help ya, get rid of the stock down pipe, go to a 4" if you have a 4" exhaust or at least a 3". Good luck to ya
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Check...

Fuel filter
Tire Pressure
Up-pipes (if they are leaking you will lose mileage)
Your BRAKES (if they are hanging up that will create some drag)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM

seems a little low to me, but all trucks are different, I pulled about 3500lbs to the deer lease cruising about 65-70 and got 15 on the highway, thru town with that load haha it dropped to about 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.