which tune for best mpg - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which tune for best mpg

i've been hesitant to get a tuner because i didn't want to have transmission problems, well recently my tranny died with a stock truck. figured since it has to be rebuilt i'll go ahead and have it upgraded a little. Now that it's upgraded i would like to get some better mpg with a tuner, best i've seen so far is 13.5 with the wife driveing and 7 while towing my 34" fully loaded gooseneck. what tune should i get? I'll probably set it on that tune and forget it. i'm not looking for more power, just want better mpg without hurting tranny or engine when i decide to tow. I just want a general tune for everything, dont want to constantly be changing stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

For what you want stock is probably youre best bet. When you order a chip most come with at least 6 different positions. You dont have to fill them. If you do get a chip i would recamend a daily driver tune and a tow tune. That is 2 tunes which will yield you the best milege and drive ability.
You can also contact one of the custom tuners and talk with them and tell them exsactaly wht you want and they will be able to write you a tune or 2 for youre truck and wht you want to do. I would get atleast 2 tunes.

I run TW but there are others.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

13mpg average and 7mpg towing????? What the F*CK?? Thats not normal dude. I get 17.xmpg mostly city driving, when I'm having fun with the truck.. thats takin it to redline several times a tank. I got 536 miles w/ 130 miles being highway w/ 3 adults, 1 baby, and a stroller in the trunk, and the rest of the mileage in nut to butt city traffic. Most people get like 13mpg-ish when towing. Something is not right.

But getting a tuner will normally yield BETTER mileage assuming you go w/ custom tunes. I'd tell you to go w/ TW. I've seen a LARGE portion of these trucks get 25mpg highway w/ a custom tuner, exhaust and intake.

I've heard that the Extreme setting from tony wildman will yield the highest hp/tq, and if you keep your foot out of it the best mileage too. Sounds win/win to me.

Last edited by 85_305; 09-18-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM

with my tiny single shots and Swamps tunning I get 19-20mpg. This is with over 250,000 on the odometer!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Mine has 300900 mi on it and towing 8,000lbs it averages 10mpg at 70mph with 4:10 gears in the rear. I just bought a chip from Power Hungry Performance and I hope to pick up 3 to 4 mpg towing nothing and at least 1 or 2 mpg towing. I bought the FU chip package so I can change my tunes myself it come with over 20 tunes for my truck from smoke show to 140hp extreme. I will post about it once I get it installed.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got 4.10 too, when i got 7mpg i was hauling around 18k at 75mph, that seems OK to me but i would definitely like more mpg when not towing anything, which is like 95% of the time.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

I've heard of people towing 20k and STILL gettiing better mileage than that. Most people dont dip below 12mpg towing on the highway.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Most people say once you go over 70-72 mileage starts to drop. I cruise at 70 on the highway no matter what I do. Mileage can matter on many things. My neighbor has a little 4 cyl acura integra and my 01 camaro ss with a 5.7 got better mpg than his integra. Plus if he runs the a/c he loses quite a bit more too. I dont know if that is true on diesels but I know on gassers a/c kills fuel economy. I never use it anyway, I got 360
Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

^Ya those SS's are a work of genius man. The LSx series motors are out of this WORLD.

I dont think ac taxes fuel economy that much on diesels. But I could be wrong
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Wat kind of trucks are yall driving getting 17 Ive never seen more than 14 hwy and 9 pulling 16,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.