Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tunes Too HOT!!!

5K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  Powerstroke W/smoke 
#1 ·
I don't know what happened but every setting on my chip is running way too hot and shifting like $hit and smoking all kinds. i took it out and my truck is fine...just slow lol. it is a TS chip with a TW reburn. any ideas?

#2 ·
Has it always done this or just started?

Could be a bad connection on the switch or the chip its self.

Pull it and reinstall it and see what happens.

#3 ·
You need to get youre truck on a scanner and do some test.
Did you bump or pull the wire at all did you get any water in the PCM. Pull the PCM and check it fo any water damage some trucks will leak. Is there notacible diferance switching from tune to tune.

A chip will make a problem with the truck more noticable than it will be in stock form. There realy isnr much to go wrong on a chip unless it gets shorted out or pulled while the key is on.

#5 ·
Is there any difference in the settings when you switch the positions or do they all feel/act the same?

#6 ·
I don't see how this would find out the problem or not.

My chip feels the same in every setting up till 1/2 throttle then there is more fuel. When you just switch through them you can tell at all.

But my question is do you have a high idle or something to try and see if the chip is really switching positions?

#9 ·
I've been running it for a while now with no problems. the terminals are clean and clear. every setting runs exactly the same: low power, lots of smoke, shifting hard, gets hot real fast. I think it is over fueling to the max. i took it out and the truck is running fine with out any codes or issues. I do not have any mods on my tranny either. has anyone had this issue before? Have your ever seen something like this happening tony? thanks for your quick help by the way man i appreciate it a lot

#12 ·
I had a problem where I would smoke extremely bad right when I start out with no power and alternating idle while chipped (Different chip) but if i set the chip to stock I was fine. I pulled out the ICP sensor and cleaned off the oil and it cleared up. Prolly not the same thing but worth a shot.

#13 ·
thank you for your input. i'll give that a try and see if anything clears up. thanks again

#15 ·
So i pulled the icp and everything is clean. like i said, the truck runs fine with the chip out, so i'm thinking that my chip fried itself or my truck fried it for me. oh well. I don't have the money to buy a new chip so looks like i'll be running N/A for a little while lol. thanks for your help guys

#18 ·
Does it? i didn't buy it directly from him, i bought it from a person on the site a while back.

If it was an issue with my truck don't you think the symptoms would show up without the chip?

#19 ·
Ok, sounds like the switch may have went bad, pull the chip and switch and send it to me and I will check it out for you, the lifetime reburns only apply to the person who purchases the chip from me or a dealer.

If the chip was fried, then the truck wouldn't run with it on the pcm. Prolly just the switch.

#20 ·
okay cool. there is no point in wasting your time sending it to you then because i did not purchase it directly from you. but thank you anyways.

#22 ·
i sold it instead of worrying about the junk. i didn't buy it first hand from him so he can't do a reburn

#24 ·
ya. it is not working in my rig anymore and i just don't want the headache

#27 ·
I know. Tony is a very busy guy and it was just more stress than i need right now and plus i think my truck is getting ready to tell me that it needs a new turbo lol

#36 ·
when i get on it (and it really heats up) it sounds like there is broken glass in it :dunno:

#32 ·
My daily is the most fun to drive.... i can get good fuel economony by staying out of the throttle but when i wanna get on it i can get smoke and power without switching settings... But i would say street is the second most fun!

#34 ·
damn i never drive in extreme haha.. the throttle is SOO touchy. Any bumps or any movement of the peddle jerks you around since its so torquy (SP)

Extreme is for showing off or just HAMMERING on it lol.... other than that its in street or daily

#43 ·
ya because lag doesn't sound like ching ching ching ding ding ching ching bing bing

#46 ·
its pretty rough when it gets hot lol. thats why i try not to get on it very hard till i get a new turbo.

#47 ·
I want to make something very clear, I am in no way bad mouthing Tony. I have yet to meet the guy but everything that i have heard about him has been nothing short of excellent. Even when he was having personal issues i heard that he still made the time to help his customers which is absolutely amazing. My issues were in no way related to his tuning or anything of that nature, my issues were most likely a result of equipment failure.

#54 ·
My throttle responce will pay off I did not say i would beat you i said i could put a half a truck on you off the line. And yes it does pull all the way thru I do not hit full potential at half throttle.

What makes you a Dyno queen is you post big #s from a dyno. But you have no real #s to back it up. Any body that knows anything will tell you the story is told on ashfault not the rollers. Its that simple.

Have i driven a High horse power truck no. But i have been behind the wheel of some mean machines in my time.

And why all the time and money for a work truck? A stock truck will do it just fine.:nod:

Youre welcome:thumb:

#55 ·
how bout them Yankees

#60 ·
Personally i wish the peddle could be "less" touchy, but i wouldnt want it to feel the same as all other tunes untill have throttle.... I like putting it on extreme and hearing the idle come up a little bit knowing she is ready to haul a$$!!!

While for me the extreme is not a very good daily driver good it does get the job done for what its intended for which is racing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.