Valve body help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valve body help

I am in need of some serious help and direction here.

I have a 01 7.3 with the 4R100. The trans was rebuilt just before I bought it, after I bought it I put a Edge Juice w/ Attitude monitor on it with a Trans temp gauge. I found that my transmission is running about 195-210 unloaded so I purchased the 6.0L Trans cooler from puredieselpower.com. I have not put that on yet because I want to do some extra things to the transmission as well.

To lower temperatures even more I am going to put full synthetic fluid in and have the transmission serviced. I don't want my older fluid with about 10k miles on it running through my new cooler so waiting and doing everything at the same time.

My transmission is sloppy right now and inconsistent with shifting (I think) so from what I have read on here I want to put in another Valve Body to firm it up. I am leaning towards the FTVB but being in Utah if it needs adjustment I'm kind of screwed... What would be the best Valve Body to get to firm up my shifts with having the Edge juice with Attitude? Does my chip modify my transmission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

FTVB, JW or BTS, take your pick. I have the FTVB, back when I bought mine JW and BTS weren't offering VB's. Greg has been doing VB's longer than anyone and he really knows this trans, although he doesn't get the fame the others do. Not sure what you are talking about "adjustment" as there is nothing to adjust on the VB. When I first installed mine the shift from 1-2nd was to harsh when unloaded, it would have been perfect if I towed a lot, but I don't. One call to Greg and he over nighted another VB to me with a lighter 1-2 spring in the VB. I believe all of the ones he sells now have the lighter 1-2 shift. You can't go wrong with either of them, but I still prefer Greg Evans and the FTVB because he is a great guy to deal with.

You are also not going to see lower trans temps by going to synthetic fluid!! I would install the cooler now, why dump ATF that is still like new? ATF can go 30K+ without being changed as long as you don't get it to hot. I fell for the hype on synthetic but will go back to reg Dino ATF on the next change. Remember the 4R100 only takes Mercon/Dexron III fluid, no Mercon V!!!

NCH
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

get rid of the edge juice that is horrible on your tranny run stock until you can afford custom tunes.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm a computer geek so I don't understand a lot of this. I read these forums all the time but my terms are completely off most of the time. What I meant by adjustments is if I had the same problem as you I would have to pay for a shop to swap the new one out and that scares me.

I got the edge because I really like the monitor, I understand itís not the best but what are custom tunes? Is this something I can have done to my chip? Maybe someone can give me a link to a post that will explain it to me.

I will be towing every other weekend about 10k lbs other than that it hauls bikes and is my daily driver. I got a hook up on the synthetic fluid that makes it only about 50 cents more per quart so thatís why I'm going to that.

When I got the truck it had a crappy superchips on it and the transmission was really odd, it was almost like it skipped a gear every now and then. Once I ditched that with the Edge it shifts really nice just soft and I like how the juice will defuel the truck during shifts on WOT.

It sounds like the FTVB is for me, it canít hurt right!!? haha
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM

A valve body is not to hard to mess with. If you pay atention and take youre time. I dont know if the VBs come with a plate but if they do that is where you can controll shift firmness. as well as the spring Hornet telked about.

The only tuner that can custom tune youre Edge is Power Hungery Performance. They are a sponsor here look them up and send them a Email.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
A valve body is not to hard to mess with. If you pay atention and take youre time. I dont know if the VBs come with a plate but if they do that is where you can controll shift firmness. as well as the spring Hornet telked about.

The only tuner that can custom tune youre Edge is Power Hungery Performance. They are a sponsor here look them up and send them a Email.

Power Hungery performance can not tune edge juice thy can only tune the evolution.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Tunes = 'custom programming' in geek talk....if you hadn't already gathered that.
you'd tell them what you want out of the chip mode(s) and they tailor the programming to your needs/wants...as close they can.

also, the valve FTVB is very easy to install (if you're at all mechanically inclined). you'd need an in/lb rated torque wrench, ~90bucks at sears, or borrow one from a mechanic friend, and a basic set of metric sockets. -change the filter while you're in there...and clean the pan up good, magnet too.

did you get a quote from a local garage for the VB install?
-just wondering what they'd charge.
i just did mine last w/e. i'm a comp geek too but, have turned some wrenches in a previous life.

Last edited by daveyburt; 09-16-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Can anyone put custom tunes on my Juice? I don't see anything wrong with it now but I trust that there is better out there.

My local shop is only going to charge me a half hour labor to put the VB in. I am having the 6.0 Trans cooler put on with a bigger pan, doing a service at the same time so in the end im about $160 in labor. I live in a condo so I don't really have room to work on my truck at my house so paying the shop is worth it to me.

Does the Edge Juice modify my trans like some of the other chips do? A buddy of mine has recommended the Trans Command from Banks. Would that be a good addition to my truck with the work I have planned on the trans already?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 AM

for what the trans command will run you you are pretty close to the cost of custom tunes. Banks kinda does things in a matter to make cash. You can controll every thing from the PCM but for some reason Banks prefers to sell seperate evry thing which is pretty shotty if you ask me. And the trans command is a pita to install and even worse to uninstall been there done that.
The VB should be all you need with the power the juice is giving you. I think it is a 10K mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.