Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ts chip help. I get more boost on stock setting

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  7.3greenhorn 
#1 ·
so I have had this chip installed for a while now.
recently I installed new up pipes and CAC boots from riff raff.
I thought that maybe I had a leak somewhere I have searched over and over and did a leak down check. results are no leaks.
I was driving my truck yesterday and I can get 17-18 psi on the ts chip stock setting. from what I gather this is about the normal boost range for a stock truck. If I bump the power up to 50hp or 75 I get about 15 psi and when I hit the 100 and 140 I max at 14 psi.
from everthing that I read I should be getting more boost than this.
I have also tightened up the wastegate. I have no idea what the issue could be at this point. if anyone has any ideas that would be awesome. :(

#2 ·
Check fuel pressure. Especially under a load. Have a way to monitor icp and ipr?

#3 ·
yes I have an cts insight to monitor those items and I run about 650 ish for the ipr and 2000-3000 when I get on it and it does not drop unless I get off the throttle. I don't know about the icp but I know it does monitor it. I have not checked the fuel pressure. the more I read I am thinking that maybe I have a worn lift pump. well worn enough to not allow more fuel flow.

#4 ·
Those are your icp numbers. IPR is a percentage. First things first check fuel pressure.. If you have low fuel pressure drop the tank and clean the mixing screens in the tank. Again check fuel pressure. If you still have low fuel pressure replace the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. Again check fuel pressure. If you still have low fuel pressure it is likely you have a weak fuel pump. Do these things in this order to spend the least amount of money until you find the problem.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#7 ·
. Again check fuel pressure. If you still have low fuel pressure replace the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel bowl. Again check fuel pressure. If you still have low fuel pressure it is likely you have a weak fuel pump. Do these things in this order to spend the least amount of money until you find the problem.
Low fuel pressure is often from debris getting into the pressure regulator or needing a new filter.

#9 ·
Agreed with above check fuel pressure. 2000-3000 psi is a huge range you threw out there. I would test ICP/IPR at WOT in the stock tune and then a hot tune. If your ICP is dropping off and IPR% is high it is likely the increased PW commanded by a hotter tune is taxing the hpop and it cannot keep up.

#10 ·
I just bought a new bumper pull trailer about 7k pounds or so. Going up some of the hills I was running around 12 psi of boost and ICP was steady at 2500 and the IPR is never went above 41 percent. I also was getting a P1211 code when pulling my trailer. I unhooked from the trailer yesterday and was got on it in stock mode and same numbers ICP maxed at 2750ish and the IPR hit 41 percent. Same exact numbers with the TS tuner set on 100hp setting. but with out the trailer I was not getting the p1211 code no matter how hard or long I was on the throttle. I have not yet checked the fuel pressure but I have acquired the gauge to test it.

On another note while pulling some of the hills I was running my trans temp unto but not over 202 degrees and my oil temp was at 215. I am thinking now that I do need a either a tru-cooler or a 6.0 trans cooler to keep my temp down since I live in Idaho and any where you would want to go you will be going over at least one or two mountain passes. Im not sure what the max engine oil temp can be before having or possibly running into issues. Do any of you have experience with this or know anything about it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.