looking for best programmer, tune or chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for best programmer, tune or chip

Posted new thread DP tuner questions

Ok so after reading countless posts and threads i have decided to go ahead and post my questions. Frist off i have a 1999 7.3 F-350 and unfortunately its only 2 wheel drive but anyways its got around 260,000 miles on it and is in great shape. I am looking for a programmer or something that is easy to install but i want more horsepower, better fuel mileage(have to have this), and of course who doesn't want to be able to unload a good amount smoke every now and then. I am not looking to spend a ton of money i have looked at edge and like that one because all gauges are built into the programmer and can get it for only 430$. now i could probly do up to or maybe a lil more than 500 if its truly worth it.

Now i know the first thing you will say is get a custom tuned or whatever but i am looking for something in my price range and preferably something easy for me to install or in my price range that a shop will install.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and answers

Last edited by Lurch350; 09-13-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the custom tuned chip like dp tuner is a lot easier to install than the edge will be. It only takes 10 min. tops to install the dp tuner f5 and you can get it for the same price as the edge but with tunes to fit your needs.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

IMHO, stay away from edge... they eat transmissions. I only say this because its roasted one of mine already.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM

This is how i think of it... You can buy an Edge Juice w/ Attitude for $700 run it for 6 months and have your tranny take a dump on you for $1800-$2400 for a rebuild.
So now that "cheap" chip has costed you over $3,000 and you still have shi**y canned tunes
OR...
You can buy yourself a custom tuned chip for considerably less than the Edge, have AWESOME tunes and tunes that are SAFE for your truck and run problem free (99%) of the time.

Do the math
Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Ok just visited dp tuners website looks like a good option what is the difference in teh f5 and f6 chips? also am i going to have to buy gauges or should i worry about that?(i dont floor it all the time but i dont slow poke along either) thanks guys this has already been a big help and i look forward to your replies
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the f6 is done through e-mail so when you upgrade something you wont have to send the tuner in to have it reburtn like the f5. they just send you e-mails and you hook up the computer to your truck up upload them on.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM

I got the DP F6 and its awsome, u can shift on the fly between tunes which is great, and my 80hp economy tune is better than the ol superchips I had by far! The difference in F5 and F6 is with the F6 u dont have to take the out of the truck for reburns, it has a usb hook up!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM

DP tuner questions

Last edited by Lurch350; 09-13-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.