Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

South bend single or DD clutch?

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  turbo7_three 
#1 ·
It is time for a new clutch and I am looking at either the Southbend 1944-6OFEK single or the SFDD3250-6 Dual Disk. Mods are listed in sig and I plan on adding 238/100 injectors and a 38r in the future. It is a daily driver and I do not plan on pulling with it. I am not sure if I need a dual disc or not, anyone running these clutches and how do they hold up?

#2 ·
Any 6 speed owners on here anymore?

#4 ·
The Hydra works great I have had it for about 2 years now and haven't had any problems. I have stock, hi idle,60hp tow, 80hp eco, and two 140 tunes. I normally leave it in the highest tune but have to use the 60 hp tune now because of the slipping clutch Hi idle works great for warm up. My advice is if you need a clutch don't buy from Kenny's Pulling Parts mine is rated for 500 hp and is slipping after less than a year of daily driving with no pulling or heavy towing. They also have terrible customer service I tried for a month to get a hold of someone there, they always said they would call me back but never did so I gave up.

#5 ·
Contact corey@cncfab

He has south bends rated for whatever hp you need

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#7 ·
OP, I would go with the dual disk. Its pretty much too big of a clutch, but the next rated clutch fown is not rated strong enough. Theres a rather big gap between the 1944 and the SDD. And I would also skip the GTP38R for the KC38R.

The Garrett is pretty much too small once you get above a 175/80 injector.

#8 ·
Is the KC38R a drop in like the 38r or does it require a mounting kit? Where can I get one, what are the specs on it, and how does the price compare to a 38r?

#10 ·
How is the dual disk compared to the single on noise and drivability? I have heard it can be harder to get into gear and it is slower shifting with the dual disk.

#14 ·
Does it have a lot of gear rollover noise when idling or is it quiet? Bottom line is I don't want a clutch that is a pain to daily drive with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.