Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hydra Newbie

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  alaskan155 
#1 ·
Finally got the hydra installed right. 1st time I didn't clean the terminal enough. Would only illuminate when it was plugged into the computer. Took the PCM out again this morning and did a thorough cleaning. Now the hydra illuminates and PP HH PP scrolls across the interface. I loaded tunes on it. They are as follows:

1000 High Idle
Stock (I know. I'm an idiot)
24 Tow
40 Tow
65 Tow
80 DD
80 Performance
100 Performance
120 Extreme

There is no change when I change the tune on any of the settings. I used the recommended code. The box code on my truck is VDH4. What give?

#2 ·
I would say most of the time it's because it's not clean all the way. Not saying that's your problem, but I would start by removing it again and double check its clean. I have installed mine into 2 different pcms and had no problems. Make sure it's plugged into the switcher all the way.

#4 · (Edited)
Finally got it working. I knew I was a mental midget but.... I think it was more efficient cleaning with a razor then 600 grit paper is more effective and more safe than just scrubbing away with the scotch brite.

Only drove for 20 mins. Can definitely see/feel the tow settings. I uploaded all the tow tunes and cannot feel the hp difference between them. I think the only way to tell the difference is when I hook up the 5'r. The 80dd is nice. The 80, 100, 120 are very good. I'm excited to see long term how they perform.

Up next. Tranny, sticks & a turbo. COREY!!!!!!

#6 ·
Just ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to see the difference. I usually drive like a grandpa watching my MPG (I know, not the truck for that). What tunes would you load for a light foot daily driver and would you change that given winter temperatures vs summer temperatures? Truck has 3.73 gears and tows sleds once in a while.

I had a 6.4 with spartan tuner dpf delete. Biggest difference other than the obvious power increase was the throttle response and low boost with light pedal pressure. I only needed about 5% throttle in normal driving.

#8 ·
mhunter583

I have tried almost all of the tunes available on the Hydra. In my opinion, if your are light on the foot, I would recommend the 140 HP extreme tune as your daily driver. I like the way it drives and my fuel economy went up by about 70%, and it is fun to drive. You do need to be gentle on the foot as the transmission life could be sacrificed if you are heavy on the throttle.

Reactions: 7.3Toreador
#9 ·
Us pmr guys dont get 140 tune. But the 120 is fun sometimes. I run the 80 dd all the time now that my smoking issue is fixed
. (Bad ipr)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.