Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ok i want newer truck..but w/7.3

5K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  nighthawk285 
#1 ·
what all is involved in putting my 7.3 in a newer truck 05 08 thinking of using my truck for donor 7.3 anyone done this

#2 ·
What are you trying to gain from the new truck VS the "Old" truck?

better ride from suspension?
Newer interior?

If its the suspension your better off putting a newer front end on your current rig.

If its the interior its going to be a ton of work. Your motor and all wiring will need to be swapped. Theres more to it but this is general.

#3 ·
Agree with above, if you just want the looks and coil springs, swap and 05 front end over, and buy a 4 link kit from some lift company.
The amount of work to swap the motor into the new truck is going to far exceed any gains.

#4 ·
just newer interior and dash ...scared to go with new diesel engine ..actually TRRRIFIED...I don't have money to get fixed I do all the work so that I can afford to own one..im not going into debt ..that alone is enough reason for me ,.any opinons wanted.....thanks guys

#5 ·
My opinion, is a stupid amount of work and money. You can build a built proof 6.0 or 6.4 easier.

#7 ·
I don't have any way to get cab off ..don't feel comfortable having to pay anyone...for ..anything..???any ideas ..ive been told u cant get around it...????

#8 ·
If you can't lift a cab to do headstuds you can't lift the cab to put your 7.3 in a new truck. ...

#11 ·
what is one that is in need of repair going for o5 07 ???????

#12 ·
I would make it happen once..getting engine in truck...but not several times to change engines and repairs ... I got friends but I cant assume anything that's a stretch..

#16 ·
You can always change the panels and seats to a 05-07 and put in a touch screen radio. Then do the front-end swap and put the 05-07 badges. A lot cheaper and will look the same as a 05-07.

#18 ·
If you are going to do a swap... Please do it in an 08+ so you can do motor work and not lift the cab. It would be the most cruel joke to play on a 6.4 owner ever.

In all seriousness though, doing a front clip, interior, and other aesthetics upgrades would be the way to go. And as Nick said, you don't need to worry about emissions then.

#19 ·
REALLY ..is that everyone's consensus.. ..I don't know if I can get rid of my 7.3 ..It was just a thought ..I thought that 6.0 roller lifters rockers can grenade a 6.0..

#21 ·
It's the head bolts that stretch and lift the head off the gasket that the 6.0 is famous for.

To answer your original question though I don't believe that anyone has done such a thing. There's been cab swaps done, suspension upgrades done...but I haven't seen a build where they put an old 7.3 into a newer truck.

#22 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Old, slow, out dated technology, all true about a 7.3. It doesn't bother us.
What makes me cranky is people saying "that's way too much work" or even "that can't be done" when they don't know what they're talking about.

#27 ·
yes but does it grenade the motor???? and thanks for all ideas ..the interior is a good idea ..ive never taken a dash out.. is it very involved or easy.. or stupid idea??? AGAIN THANKS FOR EVERYONES 2 CENTS

#28 ·
If you're asking about the head bolts stretching no it doesn't grenade the engine....it blows the head gaskets and that job needs done but if the job is done right, after that you're pretty set for BIG jobs.

The interior is fairly simple but without swapping the cab I haven't seen anyone be able to get the HVAC system to work...you can get the look of the update and everything else done though.

#29 ·
no I herd that the pieces of roller rocker goes threw pump and trash the motor..i think powerstrokehelp.com..i think>>??

#31 ·
If the lifter fails, pieces can go down and destroy the LPOP, just like in any other engine but it's not going to trash the whole engine. If you're using that guy as a "good reference" you should know that 70% of what he says is scare tactics to get you to be afraid to drive your truck without spending some big money with him, 25% selling upgrades that aren't needed, and 5% "good" information.

#32 ·
I'd make some upgrade's too my 7.3L because it's a lot cheaper than a 60K+ truck and all the headache's that might come with it.

#34 ·
I was just pondering what it would be like to drive a newer truck . but without the new problems..got me thinkin about a converstion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.