Tech Q's about TW Tunes!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
Tech Q's about TW Tunes!?

Alright.... So I've decided that I want to run TW tunes, mainly based on what I've read in this forum!! I don't need people replying and telling to go with TW!!!! I've already made up my mind about that. And the reason I'm posting these questions is because every time I search, I just end up with a bunch of threads that say "Get TW tunes, they're the best". Eventually, I'd like to do injectors and a different turbo and whatnot, so the free reburns is a bonus!! But for now, I just want a good economy tune, a good towing tune, and a good performance tune.

Okay, so my questions are actually about the tunes themselves.

I'm obviously going to go with the "Extreme" tune for performance. Although this is a daily driver and tow rig... I still like to play with it every once in awhile.

Is there any point in getting the "Stock" tune, other than to feel the difference in power?

What's considered a good towing weight for the "Tow" tune and for the "Heavy Tow" tune....? I don't know which one would be better for me? I mostly tow my big mud truck around (6500lbs or so?).

But for economy, I'm curious how much economy actually increases over stock? And how much does it improve fuel economy over the "Daily" tune or one of the tow tunes?

And where's the better place to order from? I've dealt with Stealth Auto before, so I was thinking of ordering from there... But will I have to wait longer to get it from there?

I am also curious as to what exactly these tunes change? I'm the type of person that likes to understand everything. So I know the tunes increase the fuel going in to increase power... But obviously they do more than that. Do they retard or advance the timing? Does it change the tranny shift points? Stuff like that? I realize most of you probably can't answer these questions, and Tony Wildman is probably who I should be asking, but I figured I'd ask in this thread just incase! Haha!

Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

Last edited by Mud-Nut; 06-28-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 PM

I havent got mine yet but from what i understand you want a stock. Cause when you first start it you want to let it warm up before you drive it. I wasnt going to get it and just start it in fuel economy and let it run for a few min, then switch to hi idle. But I have been convinced otherwise. I am not sure about the tows. Economy is for highway driving, daily is same but adjusts shifts for stop and go driving in town. Im going to go with hi idle, stock, daily, economy, street race, extreme. Just my .02
Old 06-28-2009, 02:20 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I got Daily, Street, Tow, Smoke, High Idle and Stock. Street is freaking awesome, Extreeme did nothing for me really, street is where it is at, smoke is also a waste without injectors and things to match it. Daily is quite fast and is a little smoky, just the way I like it.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Emergency Services

my brother has a 6 position chip, but it always stays in extreme. It's what he uses for a daily driver, and for towing. It also gets the best economy in extreme. All you have to do is keep the exhaust temperature down. It isn't a problem. All you have to do is not hammer the snot out of it while pulling a trailer from a stop, up a hill.

The transmission shifting is the best in extreme too. I don't know too much about the other tunes he has on there, since they are not run that much. I know that he has an economy tune (that doesn't deliver that great of economy), a towing tune (that is pretty weak and pathetic), a heavy tow tune (that works alright and keeps the temps down more than extreme), a smoke tune (that doesn't smoke with stock injectors), extreme, and stock. Stock is important when you have to leave your truck in some one else's care, and you don't want them messing it up. Like at a tire shop, or when you are getting it inspected (in texas).
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 AM

I say no point in stock setting.

Tony says tow is for 10k and under, heavy tow is 10k and over.

I have economy but mine has a problem. It will never shift into OD in the economy tune. I will have Tony look at it, in daily I get 17mpg mixed driving all the time.

I ordered from Stealth and Raul is a great guy. I would do business with him again.

*** Mine is on an OBS, just for clarity, same characteristics apply in the tunes on OBS and Super Duty ***
Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 AM

Also Tony tweaks shift points, fuel pressure, timing, torque converter lock-up, remove rev/speed limiters, etc..

I would ask Tony and he will know for sure all the aspects of his tuning.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
It usually takes one reburn to get things just right, that is what it should be imo. You get to try it with regular tunes and figure out what you want changed and then send it back... Comes back and is awesome.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superxcrewfx4 View Post
It usually takes one reburn to get things just right, that is what it should be imo. You get to try it with regular tunes and figure out what you want changed and then send it back... Comes back and is awesome.
I agree.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
Thanks for all the replies!! I really appreciate it.

Okay, so I'm surprised that Tony's tunes aren't designed idle when you first start the truck? Or at least, that's what Kyle is saying?

I live up north (CANADA), so my truck does a lot of warming up in the winter time. So I started thinking that I might want the "High Idle" tune? How does that tune work if the truck is fired up in high idle? Will the truck idle normally for a few minutes and then go up? That would be perfect for me, since I fire up the truck by remote in the winter time. But if the truck goes straight to idling high, that would probably be no good, right? I suppose I could request something like this to be done, if it's not setup that way.

So economy is for highway, and daily is for around the city. I suppose I'll need both tunes then. Or is it worth getting both tunes? Should I just get daily and do my highway driving in daily?

Sounds like I don't need the "Heavy Tow" tune... I have yet to tow anything over 10k. So the "Tow" tune it is.

On Total Diesel, it says that "Street Race" is for those pesky imports with the coffee can exhausts, and "Extreme" is for the track. So, is Extreme not as good as Street Race for playing around? Or, is he required to say that, since "Extreme" just doesn't follow emission laws or something like that? Which one should I go with?

So the price is the same at Stealth, as it is at Total Diesel... My only concern is the fact that it asks for a PCM code at Total Diesel, and on the Stealth site, Raul doesn't ask for that. Will the PCM code help Tony at all? I'm hoping I don't have to send mine back, since I'm shipping mine all the way from Canada, but I will if I have to.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 AM
I am that hot

TDP is tonys site, raul sells his chips for him as well. I got mine through raul. With any computer type thing it needs tweaking, everyones truck is different even if they are identical lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.