Another low boost thread.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another low boost thread....

Hey guys I just got my 99 F350 about a week ago and its my 1st diesel. First thing I did was order the necessary gauges so I would know what was goin on. Well we got everything installed just hours ago and took her for a spin. I stood on it and watched the boost gauge peek at 6 PSI !!!! I know thats not right judging from what I've read on here. It looks like it has the stock downpipe on it connected to a 4" straight pipe all the way back and the stock intake is still on it. The turbo has a loud hissing noise when I step on it. You can hear it building boost cause its loud but its obviously not building enough. I know the turbo is spinning freely cause I can hear it still spinning right after I shut it down. What do you guys think. Again I'm new and not sure what to look for. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check all of clamps and rubber boots going to the intercooler, they could be leaking.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM

That hiss sounds like it could be the ebpv sticking.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_nitrous View Post
That hiss sounds like it could be the ebpv sticking.
What exactly is that and could that cause the low boost?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM

I tightened all the clamps and even unplugged the waste gate. I got a couple of more psi out of it but I cant still reach 10psi. Anybody have any thing else???
Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
What exactly is that and could that cause the low boost?
Exhaust back pressure valve. They are known to stick. It is a butterfly valve after the turbo. It can cause smoke, little or no boost, low power and bad mileage. It will hiss if it gets stuck part way closed.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 AM

How do I remedy that? I've read about people just unplugging them. Will that fix it if its halfway closed or do I need to do something else?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 AM

LOL, i have no idea how to fix it. unplugging it will just leave it stuck. I have always heard people say just to take it out and drive it like you stole it for a couple minutes and it may blow the soot out to free it. Otherwise you may need to remove it and clean it.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM

I'm going to unplug it and wire it open. Taking the whole thing out and plugging it looks like a pain and something thats easier to do with the turbo out. Also everything is poining towards a leak and probably the up pipes. Everywhere I've read just says "check your up pipes" If they are leaking how do you fix them? Loosen them up and re tighten them or just tighten them down more???
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
I'm going to unplug it and wire it open. Taking the whole thing out and plugging it looks like a pain and something thats easier to do with the turbo out. Also everything is poining towards a leak and probably the up pipes. Everywhere I've read just says "check your up pipes" If they are leaking how do you fix them? Loosen them up and re tighten them or just tighten them down more???
Leaking up-pipes are a common problem as these trucks age. Start the truck cold, protecting yourself from exhaust parts, from under the truck, place your hand near where the up-pipe connects to the base of the turbo exhaust collector, and feel for exhaust gas blowing out. If they are leaking, they are a pain to fix. Essentially, the flange with 2 bolts in it holds in a donut-style exhaust gasket. I replaced my donuts the last time my engine was out, it took nearly an hour to get the rusted in bolts out using WD-40 and a torch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.