alternator problems or connected to my new straight pipe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
alternator problems or connected to my new straight pipe?

Well today I finally cut the stock muffler out and put on a straight 3" pipe. It sounds awesome!!

But tonight I noticed that my headlights seemed dim. Then it was hard to start. When I got to work, i tried to move it forward right after I shut it down. The truck was dead (no battery power). I waited about 1 hour, went outside and the truck fired up (not easily though).

Is this an alternator problem or is it somehow related to my new straight piping (can't imagine it is, but...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Could really use some help. Tomorrow getting to work may not happen.

Even tell me if the two things (straight pipe and truck not starting) are related or not.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Coincidence unless you bumped something.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick883 View Post
Well today I finally cut the stock muffler out and put on a straight 3" pipe. It sounds awesome!!

But tonight I noticed that my headlights seemed dim. Then it was hard to start. When I got to work, i tried to move it forward right after I shut it down. The truck was dead (no battery power). I waited about 1 hour, went outside and the truck fired up (not easily though).

Is this an alternator problem or is it somehow related to my new straight piping (can't imagine it is, but...)
When you straight-piped your truck, did you weld that section of pipe on or was it a bolt-on delete pipe...

If you welded that section of pipe in place of your stock muffler, did you disconnect your batteries before welding on your truck... If not, your problem may be related...

If you welded and did disconnect your batteries or if it was a bolt-on delete pipe, then it is just a coincidence.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 AM
OperationSmile.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillo_Powerstroker View Post
When you straight-piped your truck, did you weld that section of pipe on or was it a bolt-on delete pipe...

If you welded that section of pipe in place of your stock muffler, did you disconnect your batteries before welding on your truck... If not, your problem may be related...

If you welded and did disconnect your batteries or if it was a bolt-on delete pipe, then it is just a coincidence.
Welding? Never heard of welding an exhaust on a car having any effect on the electrical system. Thats new to me. I have had multiple exhaust welded onto multiple vehicles and have never disconnected the battery. Maybe its something I never heard of. Anyways. Im sure your problems are coincidental. I would first get your batteries tested. My truck did that when one of my batteries had a bad cell which killed my other. Always start with the cheapest repair and work your way up. Take the batteries to autozone and have em test it or take you alternator and you batteries in and have em all tested since the alternator takes 5 minutes to replace on our trucks. I'd be willing to put $5 on it that one or both of your batteries have a bad cell and need replacing.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 AM

thanks for the advice guys.

PS. We used end straps to but the pipes together an hold the pipe in place, no welding.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I would say coincidence. Its like how someone brings the car in for one repair and then it leaves and another occurs but had absolutely nothing to do with the first repair lol It kinda sucks that it happened but I think it was just something completely random. Alternators are easy to replace so that should be ok.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM

I agree, coincidence.

Glad to hear you like your straight pipe!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:35 PM

welding on a vehicle can effect electrical components... whether it does or not is entirely chance. but it is possible. just thought i would throw that inthe air.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 AM
OperationSmile.org

Mick I blame it on you. Now I need a new battery... haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.