egt temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
egt temps

ok before i get thrashed for this question i already did a search and all i could find was a bunch of different information. i just got my egt guage hooked up the right way this time in the exhaust manifold and i was wondering whats the temp you need to start getting concerned about and if it stays there for how long? im going to be pulling a 8,000 lb boat tomorrow and i just dont wanna hurt the truck and im not used to pulling a load this heavy with my truck. also should the temp guage move up and down a lot? or stay in the same position? and one more thing whats a good temp to shut the truck down at 250 is what i think i remember reading awhile back.
thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1250 is getting to hot. Anything over that and you should start backing out of the throttle. Many guys have run 1500+ and were ok but that was for a split second and I wouldnt recommend it.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 PM

like i know tonight i went out and got on it a little bit to see what it would read and it hit 1400 but it didnt stay there very long. im taking 3 seconds maybe is that bad? if so how can i get the egts lower?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboeger4 View Post
ok before i get thrashed for this question i already did a search and all i could find was a bunch of different information. Yeah, the search feature is worthless on this site, its no problem though, most of us don't care if people ask instead of search, those that do care, tell them to f off. i just got my egt guage hooked up the right way this time in the exhaust manifold and i was wondering whats the temp you need to start getting concerned about and if it stays there for how long? 1250 is when you want to start being cautious. I have run mine up to over 1500, no idea what they really were, it was buried, and i've had no problems. I wouldn't recommend doing that, as mine was on accident, but you must heat soak the pistons to damage them, and there is oil cooling them down. I woundn't run it over 1250 for more than a few seconds. im going to be pulling a 8,000 lb boat tomorrow and i just dont wanna hurt the truck and im not used to pulling a load this heavy with my truck. You should be fine. are you chipped? what setting do you plan on towing in? 8K is nothing for these trucks. I would be more concerned about trans temps than EGT's also should the temp guage move up and down a lot? Yes, it will vary with load or stay in the same position? no, it will move a lot and one more thing whats a good temp to shut the truck down at 250 is what i think i remember reading awhile back. I usually wait till 300ish, if ive been running it hard i just wait about 3-5 minutes then shut it down.
thanks guys
My responses in red.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IH, the people that make our motor say a Pre turbo red line of 1250 is fine. You can drive all day at 1250 and hurt nothing but your milage. Normal cruseing you should see about 600-700.

You can go over 1250 for short periods of time, its about heat soak. If the pistons have been seeing 600 all day, you can stay above 1250 longer then if you have been pulling all day at 1100... understand?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 PM

got it. thanks guys just wanted to make sure. and ill be towing with the edge yes i said edge. i know i hate it to. getting dp if i can ever save the money. but ill be on the 60 tow mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.