Turbo Surge Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Surge Question?

OK...by the threads I've been reading on here I am pretty sure I just experienced a bit of turbo surge. Am I correct?

I just towed my boat 2300 miles round trip to Florida and back. My boat is an estimated 6K to 7K. When running about 70 mph and pulling a decent grade in high gear, the boost would build up and a few times I would hear like a studdering noise from the turbo. A few times I saw the boost gauge needle flutter ever so slightly. If I would donshift it would go away. When it would happen I would just back off the throttle a bit and it would stop.

If so I am leaning towards the ATS housing. Yeah I've read that the wicked wheel will cure this but housing seems to be an easier and maybe a better fix.

Also as a side note, the most boost I get is 20 psi acording to my gauge. Does that sound about right?

You can see my mods in my signature. Thanks

Last edited by OHBandit; 06-18-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 04:47 PM

No comments at all????
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBandit View Post
OK...by the threads I've been reading on here I am pretty sure I just experienced a bit of turbo surge. Am I correct?

I just towed my boat 2300 miles round trip to Florida and back. My boat is an estimated 6K to 7K. When running about 70 mph and pulling a decent grade in high gear, the boost would build up and a few times I would hear like a studdering noise from the turbo. A few times I saw the boost gauge needle flutter ever so slightly. If I would donshift it would go away. When it would happen I would just back off the throttle a bit and it would stop.

If so I am leaning towards the ATS housing. Yeah I've read that the wicked wheel will cure this but housing seems to be an easier and maybe a better fix.

Also as a side note, the most boost I get is 20 psi acording to my gauge. Does that sound about right?

You can see my mods in my signature. Thanks
Yep, that was surge. BAD! I used to have it until i got a WW, it cured it. The housing is considerably more expensive, like 4 or 5 times the cost. I would do the WW first, then if you still have surge, then get the housing. WW cures it in most cases. Also to answer your other question, with just the 80 tunes from jody, 20 PSI is about right.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 PM

I can only agree but also make a point. a WW is a step back in tech that MIGHT x the surge. A ported housing is a leap forward that WILL x the surge, and ATS isnt the only make available. If you go the housing way, dont bother with a WW, keep yer stock wheel. If you do the WW first, then its all you as to if you wanna do the ported housing on top of it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperstroke View Post
I can only agree but also make a point. a WW is a step back in tech that MIGHT x the surge. A ported housing is a leap forward that WILL x the surge, and ATS isnt the only make available. If you go the housing way, dont bother with a WW, keep yer stock wheel. If you do the WW first, then its all you as to if you wanna do the ported housing on top of it.
Tell me what other housing besides the ATS is available?

Last edited by OHBandit; 06-18-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Yep, that was surge. BAD! I used to have it until i got a WW, it cured it. The housing is considerably more expensive, like 4 or 5 times the cost. I would do the WW first, then if you still have surge, then get the housing. WW cures it in most cases. Also to answer your other question, with just the 80 tunes from jody, 20 PSI is about right.
how difficult is the WW installation? According to these guys the turbo needs to be removed.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=47
Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
PMR = JUNK

How is a WW a step BACK? The only reason they changed it was to lower noise, if anything the new style wheel is a step back in tech.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBandit View Post
how difficult is the WW installation? According to these guys the turbo needs to be removed.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=47
It can be done without removing the turbo. Take the housing off, and hit the wheel with an impact. Marty did a video write up of it. Check that out.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM

alright heres my .02 when i got the DP i had really bad surge, got the WW for 70 bucks and watched marty's video a couple of times, 2 hours of burning my hands on a hot turbo totally cured all of it, i would have gotten the housing though if i could have afforded it at the time
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 PM

anybody have a like to the video?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.