Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injector O rings

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  tneibling 
#1 ·
How do you know when you need to change out the O-rings? Loss of power real bad mileage? I havn't realy noticed either but I was gona do the glow plugs here soon so figured while I had the covers off I would replace them. I have about 138k miles on the truck.

#2 ·
Unless you have signs of bad O-rings I would not do them. In fact unless you have signs of a bad injector I would not even pull the injector.

If you remove the injector you have to install new O-rings.

As for the glow plugs, why are you going to do them. Do you have a hard cold start problem.

Why spend money when it is not needed. Was the truck hard starting last winter. If not then why install new glowplugs.

#3 ·
Not a bad idea, and for a 100 bucks it is easy to do. I pulled mine at 100k to stick in a set of hybrids and I had a couple bad Orings. It was good that I pulled them when I did.

Plus you have to pull the glow plugs to install new Orings... I would do it at 138K...

If you need any help just let me know, I am not too far from you... LOL I work in Harrisburg..LOL

#5 ·
You have to get the oil and fuel out of the cylinders. there are other ways to do this, the glowplugs are easy to pull out.

#6 ·
Remove the plugs on the HPOP rails on the cylinder heads. Use a mighty vac pump. Suck the oil out of those rails prior to removing the injectors.

A lot better then cranking the engine over with the glowplugs removed spraying oil all over.

#8 ·
Well i know I have a bad glow plug or more been puttin it off I have done a few glow plug installs no big prob there just figured i would do the O-rings while I had the valve covers and stuff off I have just never pulled an injector. Im not doin the plugs for a while but was just curious about the O-rings.

#9 ·
Unless you have signs of bad O-rings I would not pull the injectors to do them. I would do the glowplugs and that is it. Why mess with something that is not broken.

#13 ·
I can get the O-rings cheap or cheaper my Ex father in law is a parts guy at the dealership so he gets stuff i think for 40% off just wasn't sure how often they go out I just figured as much of a pain in the butt it is to get the valve covers off I would do them too.

#14 ·
Kinda off the subject but i noticed you have a tru speed. After you installed it does your ABS light come on every so often? mine will come on go away for about 10 miles come back on it kinda has a mind of it's own. i have checked all the plugs goin to the sensors and they look good.

#15 ·
Those can be sensitive. did you solder the connection to the VS wire? If not you can get a bad connection and it can play hell on your speedo and shifting. A friend went through two of them before he got one that was good. He also had issues with it when the batteries were going out...

I sold mine when I picked up AE and recalibrated my speedo with it so I didn't need it anymore. :thumb:

If you ever make it up this way we can scan for codes and possibly recalibrate your speedo...

#16 ·
Sorry about hijacking this thread but what are some signs of Injector O-ring failure?
My 97 OBS seems to be in good shape but has 205k on it and to my knowledge nothing major has ever been rebuilt or replaced. Without removing them is there any way to check the injectors and O-rings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.