Question about DIY Intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about DIY Intake

I've heard the horror stories about using a K&N. Are they saying don't use a K&N type filter or strictly a K&N in the stock air box? The reason I ask is because I want to do the diy intake this weekend when I install my gauges and do some other stuff to my truck. I checked with NAPA and they want $58 for 6637 filter. The price has obviously gone up some since I heard this was a $40 dollar mod. I can get a Spectre conical filter from AutoZone for $35 and it comes with the 4" opening. Its basically a K&N knockoff. I figure it will work since its the same material as say the afe intakes and all the others. I just wanted to be sure and I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
It'll buff out!

Send a message via Yahoo to TuRBoWHiNe
I believe they say not to use anything like a K&N because it's a cotton element filter, and will not filter as well as your paper element stock filter. The K&N will allow dirt particles through, which aren't good for your turbo...

Last edited by TuRBoWHiNe; 06-18-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can get a real Tymar filter cheaper than that!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Its not good to use a k&n type filter in the box I understand that. But is it ok to use a k&n type filter in place of the napa filter or similar paper filter on the DIY intake?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Never ever use a K&N
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just did the DIY intake last night. Got the filter from Fleetfilter shipped for $42 and the 4" 45 degree elbow from napa for $30. I didnt notice much difference other then I can hear the turbo spooling up sooner. The main reason I did it was because K&N was letting dust into the intake tube.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Guys I don't think y'all are getting what I'm asking. I'm saying a K&N TYPE filter. The same thing that the AFE's and AirRaids and Volants are. They are all the exact same material. The only difference between those and the DIY intake is they have heatshields around them. Everyone says don't use a K&N but those filters are the EXACT same and flow the exact same. Why cant I use one of those??? Sorry I'm being difficult but everyone keeps saying don't buy a K&N and I keep saying I'm not buying a K&N but one thats like it. Also why would I want to spend $42 or $58 or whatever I can find it for on a paper filter that I'm going to have to throw away?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM

if it is the same material as a k&n dirt will get in
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
It'll buff out!

Send a message via Yahoo to TuRBoWHiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRBoWHiNe View Post
I believe they say not to use anything like a K&N because it's a cotton element filter, and will not filter as well as your paper element stock filter. The K&N will allow dirt particles through, which aren't good for your turbo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
Guys I don't think y'all are getting what I'm asking. I'm saying a K&N TYPE filter. The same thing that the AFE's and AirRaids and Volants are. They are all the exact same material. The only difference between those and the DIY intake is they have heatshields around them. Everyone says don't use a K&N but those filters are the EXACT same and flow the exact same. Why cant I use one of those??? Sorry I'm being difficult but everyone keeps saying don't buy a K&N and I keep saying I'm not buying a K&N but one thats like it. Also why would I want to spend $42 or $58 or whatever I can find it for on a paper filter that I'm going to have to throw away?
I answered you before. K&N or AFE or any of those are all the same type of cotton element filter and DO NOT filter as well as your stock paper element. I got exactly what you were asking! The TYMAR DIY is paper as well. It will flow better, due to more surface area, and will filter as well as stock.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM

where can I get a TYMAR filter? Does TYMAR stand for something or is that a name brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.