MPG 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG 7.3

Hey guys...I get my license soon and i might be buying a 7.3, I've talked to a couple neighbors that have had then and they say they constantly get 16...but i was reading on the sight that guys are hitting 18-19. Do you guys put intakes, exhausts, or chips in them? or are they stock gettin that kind of mileage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine stock was getting about 15 - 15.5
I think, it has been awhile
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Cant speak for everyone, but in my experience a totally stock 7.3 wont ever exceed 14/16mpg/hwy empty, depending on terrain, and thats only if you drive like a granny, and keep the rpms at or below 2000 on the highway. change the intake, delete the muffler or go 4"exhaust, yer looking at 16s consistently if, as stated, you granny it. Add a chip, depending on which one you choose, and yes, its fully possible to hit 18mpg or even better, IF YOU GRANNY IT!! As soon as you start rabbiting off of stoplights/signs, or doing better than 2000rpms on the highway, start saying goodbye to fuel economy. The temptation to drive these trucks like sportscars is monumental. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up Results from my trip

I drive an early 99 F250 extended cab, just drove from Fairbanks Alaska to St. Paul Minnesota for a grand total of 7500 miles in 2 weeks. See my mods in signature, note I had about 1000 lbs of gear aboard too, plus 2 people. This trip gave me a great opportunity to calculate my mpgs carefully with good statistical sampling!

Also, I run synthetic oil, and add diesel kleen with every fill up. I run sea-foam in the tank about once every 2 to 3 months.

In DP tuner 80hp econo on way down I got over 18.2 as long as the speed was under 65mph. This was true for everywhere I went including the mountains except for North Dakota where I was driving 75 pretty much the whole time, mpg went down to 15.5 ish for that tank. Note that I was not slowing down much when going up hills, and often was having fun accelerating uphill just for the fun of it, so I could have gotten better than the 18.2

On the way back I was hauling a double axle trailer (U-hauls 12x6 if you are familiar with em) and I went through Jasper park in canada, basically up down, up down, up down. I never got under 15.25 mpg and I was towing at about 55-65 the whole time. Note I was running the 80hp tow tune for most of my trip, with a few times of 40hp tow just because it ran cooler in the 7000 ft range in canada. Seems the best fuel economy is under 600F on the EGTs and under 5-7ish PSI on the boost.

My last mod is called leaky intercooler boot mod -- drove the whole way down and back unable to make more than 20psi of boost, fixed it the week I got back, now I can get around 24psi again, still think I have a small leak but have to wait to buy new boots for the intakes.

Bottom line, the air drag is what gets ya ... keep it under 65 and you will love your fuel economy with just a few mods... I am still planning on getting a 4" turbo back exhaust with higher flow muffler, so once that is done hope to see a tiny bit better... I wasn't being a granny on the acceleration for most of the trip and I still saw these numbers...

Hope this helps...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My dad's '97 CC SB with 3.55 gears gets 18-20 when he drives it (he's a gentle driver) He gets about 15-16 in his '02 F350 CC LB dually with 4.10s. Both are stock. The difference in fuel economy with the different gear ratios is significant. The gear ratios aren't the only differences between these two specific trucks, but the different gear ratios do account for a lot of the difference in fuel economy.

I would expect to get at least 15-16 out of any PSD.(unless its a 6.4 with a DPF) Many acheive better fuel economy, but it really depends on the specific truck, and most of all your driving habits.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM

I just filled up my 97 PSD this mornin and it was getting 19.4mpg with a mix of some highway and around town driving. It's crazy high geared since its got 3.55 gears and is pullin 35inch tires. The only mods are 3" downpipe, 3.5" straight pipe and DIY intake. The worst mileage i've ever gotten was in the 16's and the best was 23 cruisin down the highway around 75 with a slight tailwind three weeks ago.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

A lot of what has been said is true, of course it all has to do with gearing and how you drive. Don't buy a 4:10 dually and think you are going to get 19!! The best I have gotten was 17.2 hwy, I was really nursing it and kept it under 2K. It wasn't fun. I just got back from towing my 10K TT for a full tank, I averaged 10.2 mpg and I was really pushing it hard the last 100 miles with the CC set on 73 mph going through some rolling hills. You don't need a 4" exhaust you just need a free flowing exhaust, this means get rid of the factory muffler, and replace with a BTM or straight pipe it, cost is about the same. Get your gauges first.

NCH

NCH
Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 AM

I average between 14 and 15 with mine atleast thats what it says when i get my fuel bill figure not too bad with 37's
Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Was getting high 17's before I put the 33" tires in her... dropped to mid 15's. Only aftermarket is the K&N filter in the stock air box.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Should also note that those are Nitto Mud Grapplers (came with the rims I bought)... looking to improve some mileage after a set of all-terrains (Nitto Terra Grapplers) are put back on the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.