Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thoughts on '01 F250 7.3L

865 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
Have a '01 Excursion V10 and looking at getting a '01 F250 7.3L with 120K miles for $14K. I have a 31 ft. travel trailer around 8K loaded. I want a bit more power on the highway and better fuel mileage. I get around 7 to 7.5 with my X. I use it to pull my camper or boat, and occasional other rec. activities. Only put about 5K miles on it a year.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

#2 ·
I absolutely love my '01 F-250! I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. When I bought mine stock, it got about 14-15mpgs(empty & not towing). With some simple mods, I now get anywhere from 16-19! The thing with diesel pickups is you can modify them for whatever you need them to do, & sometimes get it to do a little of everything depending on what you modify it with. You can make it a tow/hauler, street truck, sled puller, & everyday cruiser. With my experience owning my PSD, just as long as you're not beating the snot out of it, the more you modify it- the more efficient, faster, stronger, & fun it is!

#3 ·
if i was you i would look a little more. I recently bought my 2002 SD Auto(4,500.00) from a buddy really cheap cause he upgraded to a new 09 powerstroke that was what he owed on the loan still. the wife liked it so much i bought her 2003 SD 6spd a week ago with 240,xxx on it for 6,000.00 cash..
Im actually going to be taking the 6spd from her soon cause she prefers to drive the auto even thought she knows how to drive a stick as soon as i instill a SVO veggie kit so both of the truck be running veggie...

#4 ·
In all due respect, storx, are you comparing prices vs. mileage? We all know that 240,xxx miles is like 100K miles on a gasser, but the fact he's picking up a Superduty with 120K for $14K isn't a bad deal @ all. @ 120K, that truck's still a baby & barely made it past it's "break-in" period. I would definitely rather spend $6K or $4.5K like you did, but the fact the truck he's looking @ has youth on it's side it might be the better way to go. 120K on a diesel is almost like looking @ a gas job with 40K on it.:thumb:

#5 ·
I went from a 265 HP gas engined truck towing a 7000# trailer to the powerstroke and honestly the towing power does not impress me. Stock for stock, the v-10 is likely a "snappier" engine to tow with. Just plan on some power upgrades to take a stock 7.3 from adequate to exceptional. Fortunately, the upgrades required are well established and fairly cheap.

#6 ·
The 7.3 will out pull any stock gasser, I promise you that!!! I just got back from towing my TT down to Charleston SC, 300 miles one way and the truck got 10.6 mpg and I was working it hard the last 75-100 miles coming up 77 through the hills!!
The only thing I would check on is to see if the trans has been rebuilt, the 2001 had the dreaded mech diode. Chances are with 120K it should have been replaced, check a OASIS report or look on the trans for a metal tag that gives a replacement date. Otherwise check it out just like any other PSD. If the PO ran a chip or programmer with no gauges I would run, I would also run if there was a K&N filter in the airbox.

NCH

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.