Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Advise with Tranny decision please!!!!!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  reddgz 
#1 ·
so i got stuff done in sig. we have the truck detuned right now for the lack of turbo size and transmission ( its stock ). the tranny is about to go in it and im debating on weither to take mine out and just get a bts and pay or have someone rebuild it here in town. i happen to know someone who does trannys for a living and has done performance type stuff before and the shop he works at is very respectable with a good reputation. he said he will rebuild it for 600 bucks labor plus whatever parts i want. i haven't really priced anything or know much about strength in the parts that we will be putting in it. he said we can open up the tranny and see whats all bad in it. does anyone know what all bts does to his. special parts? any help or advise would be great. should i just pay and get the bts? will buying parts worth holding up to 600 hp be more expensive then just gettin a bts? sorry for all the questions and bad grammar but i was just getting someone with better knowledge of transmissions opinion.

#2 ·
You can't buy the parts BTS installs!! He makes or has made many of the parts himself. He will show you the cast parts Ford used and the Billet parts he is replacing them with. It's all up to you, if you have the money and never want to worry about your trans again then I would call Brian and have him ship you one. But if money is tight than I would buy a good triple disc and have your buddy do the best he can with parts available.
Good Luck

NCH

#3 ·
i hear ya. anyone else have there opinion?

#4 ·
you could rebuild it with suncoast extreme kit and torque converter

#5 ·
I was sorta in your situation. The thing was I had to have my transmission in less than a week, so I paid Ford for a new OEM tranny. Money really wasn't an issue, but had I had more time I would of definitely gone with a BTS tranny. I would of even gone with a Suncoast, but like I said, I didn't have the time. :(

#7 ·
looked at some sun coast stuff. extreme duty master rebuild kit with a torque converter and the shift kit be enough for around 550 hp? anyone had this done or done anything like this to there tranny when doing engine mods? im thinkin i should just break down and save for a bts. but 4g's is alot of cash.

#8 ·
For that kind of HP the only trans I would want is BTS or JW, and I would prefer BTS, JW is good but for higher HP the billet components really start to pay for themselves. Call Brian and tell him when you need it, he is a good guy and will help you in any way he can.

NCH

#9 ·
I went out to Brians and had him rebuild mine 2008 and it was the best
money I have spent on my truck. These transmissions shift so smooth
and with the 6.0 cooler he installed, the highest temp I have seen on
it was 160 and that was pulling a 3k boat in the summer. The thing about Brian is he gives you 2 yrs unlimited warranty and after that he still stands
behind his rebuild with the only cost to you would be to ship it out to his
shop. If you want a tranny and warranty you can count on BTS is the
way to go, you will not regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.