Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Whats your normal tranny temps?

3K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Huetty1 
#1 ·
Just curious. What temps are people usually seening on of their tranny? Just cruising mine is usually 150* to 165* depending on the heat. Under a load it usually stays around the 165* mark.

#2 ·
SHould be about 100* over ambient. Add like 20* give or take a few if towing.

Empty I BARELY EVER see over 180, and that's on a 100* day. Mine stays around 140 or doesn't move at all. And towing a 5er I've never seen it over 180.

#5 ·
The stock guage is garbage. I had always heard that on here but was suprised to see that when my Autometer guage changed temps my stock dash guage never moved at all.

#6 ·
I see around 140-150 on a 90 degree day. but varies towing and in traffic. I have only seen over 200 a couple times

#16 ·
The stock gauge in the 03 and later trucks is worthless, it will take 280 degrees to show close to the red!! By then your trans is toast!! Every auto used for towing should have a good quality, accurate trans gauge. As for the 4R100 the correct answer is 70-90 degrees over ambient is normal. The lighter if unloaded and the higher when towing heavy. If you have sustained temps over 200 I would want additional cooling, 220 is my pull over temp. I just towed my 10K TT in 95 ambient and the warmest I saw was 160, I am running the 6.0 cooler and that's it , no OTW cooler in my truck!!

NCH

#17 ·
i am under 140 most of the time even if towing. I have seen it rise above this twice! And that was because i was towing a 10k excavator up a very steep hill at like 35mph!!! The other time was out of the beach doing cookies (idk why that made it heat up)

But i have a giant tranny cooler, along with a fully built to the gills tranny!! So idk how much this will help you

#18 ·
120-130s on a hot day.

#19 ·
You can get people all day posting numbers that mean NOTHING!!!! How much were they towing, were they towing anything, what was ambient temps? what type of trans coolers are they running? etc......... For those that claim they have never seen above 140 all I can say is you haven't towed anything heavy in the mountains!! The numbers posted above are what a properly cooled trans fluid should run!

NCH

#21 ·
Where is your gauge getting this reading from? If you tow, and I mean really tow your trans is going to get warmer than 140, period, I don't care how big your trans cooler is. I have one of the biggest coolers you can have, and still see 160+ if I work it. You also might have a bad gauge itself. I am not going to argue this with you, it's just that 140 is to low for a 4r100 that is being worked.

NCH

#22 ·
I have to completely agree with Kevin here. There is no way you see 140 towing heavy. Well unless you consider 2 ATV's heavy anyway

#26 ·
On the left side of your transmission in the middle above the pan is a test port. Is there a sender bolted into it with 1 wire coming out of it and running up toward the firewall

#27 ·
The heaviest i have towed was a 18' enclosed trailer with total weight of 6000 lbs. (not much compared to some of these guys). At 95degree's I saw tranny temps between 155-180 temps. using a stock cooler with a 7.3.

In my truck I have never seen tranny temp's above 180 degree's.

#28 ·
Normal running, I don't see over 160. However, the other day, I took a empty box trailer across the hill to my friend's, I'd guess the trailer it'self is about 1500 to 2K empty, and by the time I got back home, the trans gauge was at 200. That's back country roads, gravel, mixed broken pavement, hills, 20-40 MPH. It was about 65-70 ambient temp. Total round trip was about 15 miles... kinda surprised me that it got that hot... but never got the tork converter to lock up due to the speeds... that could have alot to do with it.

#33 ·
If the TC wasn't locked up you were really working the trans under those conditions. It is easier for the trans to pull a 12K trailer at highway speeds than a 2-3K trailer under 40 mph with TC unlocked. I would still install the 6.0 cooler if you plan on towing often.

NCH

#29 ·
I ran just under 200 hauling my 50foot goose neck at highway speeds and a few hills. I weighed in at 25460lbs and run 37 on stock gearing.

#30 ·
Yesterday, here in hot florida (95) and very humid, pulling out 27ft boat 75-80 mph for about 2 hours The highest I saw was just under 180, so I was satisfied with my 6.0 cooler

#32 ·
Driving habit also contributes as well I would think. My truck (9000lbs) will usually be around 120-150 on a day when the temp is 70-80. ...but I'll hit 180 in heavy stop and go traffic.

#35 ·
tranny temps

Comming through georgia in the mountains at high temps gauge was reading high temp such as 210 sometimes higher pulling 8000 pd 5th wheel was i glad to get to the top and goin down and in florida with the 95 plus temps it read 240 few times if i was not in overdrive My truck handles better in o/d than drive what ya think. that guy in ocala i`m in arcadia what different temps compared to south dakota.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.