Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 7.3L Rusty Oil pan

9K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  99Mpower 
#1 ·
Well, I did the POR-15 rust seal treatment yesterday on my oil pan. That was quite a job, laying on my back in the driveway, etc. etc... Directions were pretty easy to follow, and the results look pretty good. Time will tell whether I saved myself a huge labor charge for a professional replacement. So far it looks like about 25 bucks well spent.:thumb:

#3 ·
I was hoping not to...ha ha! Maybe tomorrow. My pan was rusted pretty badly on the rounded leading edge of the bottom section, just forward of the drain plug. There were also rust spots and paint bubbles on the bottom of the front section and that surface that ran back to the bottom. None on the sides. Now it is a glossy black that would look brand new, except for the occasional brush mark or run. The biggest challenge was reaching those portions of the pan covered by cross members. My right arm is a bit chafed from reaching past them.

#6 ·
Mine is pretty much the same way you just described yours...but yea, just wanted to see how yours came out...no hurry, whenever you get a change...don't you hate that pain you get after, like the next day, after you've chafed your arm from not being able to reach something when work on trucks, specially cars...:(

#4 ·
The POR15 will do it's job if you followed the three step process correctly. A product I like better than POR15 is KBS. I did an entire CJ5 in the KBS and it still looked new when I sold it. KBS is also a bit cheaper!!

NCH

#8 ·
KBS coatings, just google them. Like I said I like it better than POR15 and I have been using products like this for years. Just make sure you do the proper prep work and you will be well protected.

NCH

#9 · (Edited)
Feeling like an idiot, actually used KBS. My son had told me about POR15, and I found out about KBS on this website. Looked them both up, compared, found a 25 dollar sample kit and bingo- black oil pan, messed up arms!

KBS System Sampler - Stop Rust - KBS Coatings - RustSeal

#10 · (Edited)

Here are a couple of pics I just took of the finished result. If you look closely, you can see how rough the surface is under the paint at the front edge (next to the sway bar) of the pan. Thats what inspired this project, and someones posted estimate of 1500 buck labor just to get to the pan...as I was taught in the Navy, this aint painting for pretty, its for preservation!

#24 ·
I am about to buy the sample kit right now. Does it have enough to do the entire pan?

Or will I need more?

-Nick

#11 ·
Awesome Job, I just ordered the red to do mine in!

#12 ·
Thanks, I'll settle for some long lasting rust prevention!!!

#13 ·
Mine has already waited too long. Its starting to leak at the seal in the front.:(
Pulling the whole engine this winter and fixing every little thing, doing some cleaning and painting on it.

#20 ·
If the replacement part looks like the one that came off, it might be a good idea to cover that pan with the KBS coating BEFORE you install it. You can do a really good job with the pan off!
Oh by the way, is your front seal leaking because the pan rusted, or just leaking because its worn out?

#16 ·
Engine has to sit upside down on an engine stand for 24 hours so the gasket sealer cures properly.

#15 ·
Probably but the truck used to be a salting/plow truck so it needs some major TLC and I don't work in the winter really due to my work being seasonal so I will have plenty of time.

#18 ·
Wont work:thumb:

#22 ·
Pulling the engine gives you access to a whole lot of things that were difficult before. That would be a good new thread to start- "Engine is coming out, what should I consider doing while it's out?" or something like that. You'll probably find some guys who either had that opportunity and forgot something, or wish they had a good reason to pull the engine, and what they would do if it was out...

#23 ·
I probably will do something like that about a month or so I pull it so that I can make a check sheet of stuff to do while I got it out.

#25 · (Edited)
It has plenty to do the whole pan. I think I only used about half of the paint part of the kit, and put three coats on the portion you see in the pictures.

#26 ·
My pan has rusted and started to leak is it to late to coat it with the KBS material?

#27 ·
My pan has rusted and started to leak is it to late to coat it with the KBS material?[/QUOTE

Probably too late for anything but a new pan.
I would consider coating the new pan before letting the dealer/ mechanic install it. That would be so easy to do with the pan sitting out in the open.

#29 ·
I was afraid it was too late. So now I have to take the engine out to replace the bad pan. Is there anything else I can try on the pan before having to pulling the motor to put a new one on.:(

#31 ·
Ok. Thanks. I'm going to start calling around tomorrow for prices to replace the pan. I cant do it myself. Is there anything else I should do while the engine is out and is it worth it to coat the new pan withwith the KBS

#32 ·
Hate to bring this to the top - can the guy who fixed his oil pan chime in how well that is holding up? I just got a 99 and I need to do something. it's not leaking yet, so I think it can still be saved. I was thinking about POR15 but it looks like he used something else. I might try to do that as well if it has held up.

#33 ·
I need to change my oil this weekend, so I'll try to remember to take a good look at all the areas of the pan I coated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.