2003 7.3L Rusty Oil pan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3L Rusty Oil pan

Well, I did the POR-15 rust seal treatment yesterday on my oil pan. That was quite a job, laying on my back in the driveway, etc. etc... Directions were pretty easy to follow, and the results look pretty good. Time will tell whether I saved myself a huge labor charge for a professional replacement. So far it looks like about 25 bucks well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it isn't to much trouble, could you post a photo...my pan is also pretty rusted and I don't really feel like removing the engine just to do a new pan, thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 AM

I was hoping not to...ha ha! Maybe tomorrow. My pan was rusted pretty badly on the rounded leading edge of the bottom section, just forward of the drain plug. There were also rust spots and paint bubbles on the bottom of the front section and that surface that ran back to the bottom. None on the sides. Now it is a glossy black that would look brand new, except for the occasional brush mark or run. The biggest challenge was reaching those portions of the pan covered by cross members. My right arm is a bit chafed from reaching past them.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The POR15 will do it's job if you followed the three step process correctly. A product I like better than POR15 is KBS. I did an entire CJ5 in the KBS and it still looked new when I sold it. KBS is also a bit cheaper!!

NCH
Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the issue i have are the threads are iffy
Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkten View Post
I was hoping not to...ha ha! Maybe tomorrow. My pan was rusted pretty badly on the rounded leading edge of the bottom section, just forward of the drain plug. There were also rust spots and paint bubbles on the bottom of the front section and that surface that ran back to the bottom. None on the sides. Now it is a glossy black that would look brand new, except for the occasional brush mark or run. The biggest challenge was reaching those portions of the pan covered by cross members. My right arm is a bit chafed from reaching past them.
Mine is pretty much the same way you just described yours...but yea, just wanted to see how yours came out...no hurry, whenever you get a change...don't you hate that pain you get after, like the next day, after you've chafed your arm from not being able to reach something when work on trucks, specially cars...
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jesse.James
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The POR15 will do it's job if you followed the three step process correctly. A product I like better than POR15 is KBS. I did an entire CJ5 in the KBS and it still looked new when I sold it. KBS is also a bit cheaper!!

NCH
Where can i get KBS? I painted mine with chassis saver last year, its supposed to be good stuff but it looks like it bubbling already.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

KBS coatings, just google them. Like I said I like it better than POR15 and I have been using products like this for years. Just make sure you do the proper prep work and you will be well protected.

NCH
Old 06-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Feeling like an idiot, actually used KBS. My son had told me about POR15, and I found out about KBS on this website. Looked them both up, compared, found a 25 dollar sample kit and bingo- black oil pan, messed up arms!

KBS System Sampler - Stop Rust - KBS Coatings - RustSeal

Last edited by mjkten; 06-12-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Here are a couple of pics I just took of the finished result. If you look closely, you can see how rough the surface is under the paint at the front edge (next to the sway bar) of the pan. Thats what inspired this project, and someones posted estimate of 1500 buck labor just to get to the pan...as I was taught in the Navy, this aint painting for pretty, its for preservation!

Last edited by mjkten; 06-13-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Better info. One more pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.