Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Suddenly Dies

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  cmb7684 
#1 ·
So a couple weeks ago on my way home from work i was turning threw a light and my truck just died. It did it a few time the next week and has not happened since. Any ideas? These little problems sure seem to turn into real money grabbers quick so i want to try to take care of it before it progresses. I know i need to get it on a computer and check it out, thanks

#2 ·
cam positioning sensor. cheap fix.

#3 ·
That's sure what it sounds like.
Def. where you should start. :thumb:

#5 ·
My truck has also done this, and changeing the CPS has not made any diffrence. Stalls at times, and just 'hiccups' alot of other times. Not to say that it's not the CPS in your case, and I agree, that would be my first try... yeah, get it on a good scanner and check the codes. I have found that even if the SES light has not been on, it will sometimes have codes...

#7 ·
The CPS cost less than 40$ from Ford. That's cheaper than getting on the proper scanner in most cases so you should just replace the CPS. It sounds just like the problem. I have a spare CPS in my glovebox.

When the engine dies like that from the CPS it may or may not trigger a SES light.

#8 ·
The CPS shouldn't cost more than $30 and sounds like your problem. But as Scott said I would check for a stored code. You should also carry a spare CPS with you at all times.

NCH

#9 ·
My 01 7.3 did the same thing and it was also the CPS. It would kill without warning in the midlle of driving and then starrt up again. It would also mess with me sometimes on start up. The trouble was it would never give a code. I talked to a guy in parts at a dealer who said man just try to change it. I did and the trouble was fixed and that was 2 years ago.

About few months after I fixed it I got a letter in the mail from ford saying they had a recall because of them. Bring it to the dealer and if yours is covered under the recall they change it free.

I have yet to bring mine in because I already changed it and it is working fine. I'm sure we are talking about the same part. This was a sensor located down by the Crank Shaft on the front of the block that has an o ring around the sensor and slots where a small steel holder fits around the sensor and on the other side of the steel holder there is a single bolt that secures it to the block. its not right on top of the crank shaft pulley but a few inches above it.

#11 ·
Had the same problem with my2000F250 with a code. I replaced cps and trouble went away. Week later truck started to stall again with more codes. Replaced exhaust sensor and tube. Week later f&"$ing truck started stalling again. Could I have gotten a bad cps? Sales person at parts place said if it was cps the truck wouldn't start. Any help would be great. Thanks

#14 ·
I call BS on this one from personal experience. Not that you are telling us BS but that person at the dealer is not correct. My truck started to kill during driving. Sometimes it would even sputter making you assume it could have been a fuel issue. While still rolling it would start back up. It never hesitated to start back up when in motion.

Other times it would not start making you assume it was a dead battery but it would actually wear the batteries down spinning it over. The lights would always light bright and the truck would crank but it just would not start. I noticed that when you would tap the brown relay's at the top of the motor it would sometimes start. Other times I would rock the truck back and forth. I finally changed both of the brown relay's at the top of the motor when it just refused to turn over for me one day. With new ones in it still would not start. I called the dealer and talked to the guy in parts who suggested I change that out because my description of the trouble was pointing to that. I spoke to parts because service could not get me in for a week to plug me to the computer. Sometimes it would give me a check engine light but when I would take it to autozone to scan for codes it would always come up with no codes even with a check engine light showing. I went to 3 different auto zones for this scan over the course of trying to figure it out.

I have a feeling this is why the other person dumped the truck and I unknowingly bought it from another dealer. It worked out as I got it fairly cheap at the time and was not to much trouble to correct.

The parts guy suggested that I change that sensor and I did. The truck started right up and has never had even a hint of this again. So I guess if you want to go full circle change those 2 brown relays on the top of the motor...when I say relays they actually look like solenoids and are right next to one another. If you have trouble finding them let me know and I will take a pic for you. This was the only 3 things I changed and my truck runs top notch. :woot::thumb:

#12 ·
CPS causes a very intermittent problem. It still could be a bad CPS and still start.
I hope it was the service manager, and not the diesel tech that told you that.
Try and get your hands on a black CPS from International. Part #1821720C99. It has been discontinued, so check a couple International dealers if one doesn't have it. This may help you, may not, but some people have had better luck with these as opposed to the newer Gray ones form Ford.

Worth a shot.

#15 ·
Those two brown relays have nothing to do with an engine stalling. One controls your glow plugs (think cold start) and one controls the air intake heater which many people disable. Don't waste your time swapping those unless you have glow plug trouble.

The truck usually starts and restarts with a faulty CPS. The typical symptom is a hiccup or a stall of a running engine. Particularly with the windshield wipers running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.