Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Why are powerstrokes so cheap??

13K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Jarrod B 
#1 ·
I am 16 and just got a job so now I want a diesel. I have always loved diesels and got the bug without even owning one. I don't understand why powestrokes are so much cheaper than cummins diesels. I want one for reliability and to go fast. I only haul a 5000lb tractor 5 times a year so idk which one to get.

#2 ·
First of all welcome to the org!

What year model and price range are you looking for?

#3 ·
1) Ford sells more diesel-powered pick ups that GM and Dodge...combined. So there are probably just more of them.
2) Economy down turn - Some people got rid of them or didn't buy as many. To move 'em, dealers are lowering the price.

Good to see you are young...er and are looking at diesels. I wished I'd a looked at them closer when I was young instead of waiting till I was....um.....uh....what's the word? :hehe:

BTW... :ORG welcome:

#44 ·
.what's the word? :hehe:
Old... :wink[3]:

be careful, it becomes addicting!
That is the whole point! :hehe:

Thanks and I was looking at the 7.3 because I really want the relaibilty. Right now I have a dodge v10 my dad gave me. There is just no performance market for it. I love the look of the fords. I just want it to be reliable and the fastest truck in town. lol
Duramax is going to be the fastest stock diesel, but it takes a lot to kill a 7.3, of course with enough mods it can be the fastest truck in town. :nod:

#5 ·
Thanks and I was looking at the 7.3 because I really want the relaibilty. Right now I have a dodge v10 my dad gave me. There is just no performance market for it. I love the look of the fords. I just want it to be reliable and the fastest truck in town. lol

#24 ·
Fast & Reliable don't go so well together.

Hope you got 20k layin around... and that's just to get to 600~ hp...

Turbo: 1600
HMax Mounting kit: 1800
Rods: 2400+
Valve springs: 100
Pushrods: 250
Headstuds: 700
Complete Fuel System: 1000+
Machine work:?
Labor to install if you can't do it: ?
Injectors: 2300+
BTS: 5700 (get 1000 back on core)

If you don't have that kind of money, you'd be better served to lower your expectations or go with a Cummins.

#6 ·
hey welcome to the org! and yes be careful it is addicting. i am 18 and have had three powerstrokes early 99, 02, and 04. they are addicting... my 02 has sucked up about 5000 bucks :) hope you find what your looking for!

BTW.. MY 99 IS FOR SALE. $6000 ;D

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. I think my price range will be around 15k max. Is there anything I should look for when buying one? Everyone in my town seems to have a dodge that can barely puff out smoke and they think they are Jeff Gordon. I want something different

#11 ·
your definitly not gonna be the fastest with a 7.3 but will be very reliable.if you want speed and your willing to spend 15k,you can buy an early dmax.then put a programmer on it and spank most 7.3's,granted you may not have a tranny very long.your choice though

#12 ·
My personal opinion from driving a bunch of work trucks both gas and diesel dodge ford and chevy combined. MOST construction guys like fords. i see more fords on job sites than chevys or dodges. Atleast the heavier duty 3/4 and 1 ton trucks
The way i see it.
if you want a city cushy 4x4 for the ladies go get a chevy
if you want to be more distinctive and have a truck not everyone has get a dodge
If you want a heavy duty WORKING mans truck get a ford.

I dont think diesels are cheap at all. MOST people who bought diesels for the "image" are trading or returning them to the dealer due to the gas prices going up. They all went back to light duty trucks or econo cars. I have a 7.3 199 f250 and i like it just fine. I got it cause the last work truck I had was well over 500 000 miles on the original motor. I dont plan on doing anything to my truck as far as chips or programmers. While its not the fastest thing out there ( and obviously has its own little problems) I think its quick enough. i dont plan on racing anyone cauae i dont really care about proving anything. I enjoy the truck as it is. The only "mods" Ive done to my truck was put 305 mud terrains a brush guard ( have hella off road lights just have to install them)and a winch. i do go hunting and some of the places I go I need 4wd so a locker will be also installed. other than that its fine as it sits.

The ONLY problem as I seeit pretty much anything with a 7.3 is gonna have 150K or more miles on it. yeah sometimes you find a low mileage one but youll pay accordingly to the shape its in. Anything with a 7.3 is gonna be at least 6-7 years old by now and I bet most have some pretty decent miles on them. Hopefully its been maintained but most diesel owners I know are pretty picky about the mantenance

As far as the Cummins motor goes its a great motor. I went from a from a v8 dodge dakota and a 3500 diesel ram to a f250. While the diesel in the ram was great the quality of the truck itself left somethign to be desired. I would have no problem throwing a Cummins in the ford but i like a ford truck with a ford motor.

#14 ·
What numbers can you get out of ford for less then 3 grand? I know with a common rail you'd be at around 600hp for that kind of money. I just hate the initial cost of a cummins.

#15 ·
I love my powerstroke. Bought it as my first truck and wouldn't change a thing!

#18 ·
Sorry. I meant a used cummins vs. a used powerstroke as far as buying the truck. Not the price at the dealship

#20 ·
I love my powerstroke and wouldnt trade it for anything other than a newer powerstroke lol:icon_ford:

#21 ·
and it does become very addiciting and fast lol

#25 ·
Im 18 and bought my 7.3 when I was 17 and I love it. No its not the fastest thing in the world but it is reliable and has plenty of power. It does take a good amount of $$$ to make a 7.3 really fast but I say buy 1 for $10k range and spend the other $5k on mods and you will have a fast ford.

#41 ·
. No its not the fastest thing in the world but it is reliable and has plenty of power. It does take a good amount of $$$ to make a 7.3 really fast but I say buy 1 for $10k range and spend the other $5k on mods and you will have a fast ford.
Thats the same reason I got this 7.3. just heard they were really reliable.
As for the $$ spent on mods for speed i just rather spend my money on something else. My wife and i just picked up another great house for a song. Turning it in another rental

When looking at a 7.3 (Pretty much any year of this engine is good, and the earlier models will have forged rods, the later models will have powdered metal rods, so take that into consideration. I believe anything before 98...?(Not sure) Will have forged rods.

INSPECT THE OIL PAN FOR LEAKS/CONDITION FIRST! (The engine must be pulled from the truck to change a leaky/damaged oil pan/gasket. thats a biggie.)
I recommend getting an OASIS report on it, and CARFAX it, even if the previous owner has all the maintenance records.

. It WILL pull the entire Earth out of its orbit around the sun if you want, and last for nearly ever.
Once again, welcome.
i thought 99s alls had forged rods. i read it somewhere on the site here.

I didnt know you need to pull the motor. What if its a 4x4 can you drop the axle down? Mines not leaking but if it does later in life...............

yeah i love the torque of this truck. Way different powerband than a gas motor

#26 ·
Welcome to the Compression Combustion Addiction Society!
When looking at a 7.3 (Pretty much any year of this engine is good, and the earlier models will have forged rods, the later models will have powdered metal rods, so take that into consideration. I believe anything before 98...?(Not sure) Will have forged rods. What this means to you is this. a PMR truck cannot be taken over about 375hp, as the rods wont stand up to much more power than that. The forged rod trucks can handle whatever you want.)

I LOVE my 03 (Door sticker says it was built in 02 tho) PMRs and all. When purchasing a truck, look at the mileage (even a truck with over 100k is acceptable if its body is in good shape and its running smooth), and INSPECT THE OIL PAN FOR LEAKS/CONDITION FIRST! (The engine must be pulled from the truck to change a leaky/damaged oil pan/gasket. thats a biggie.) After that, check everything else under there and in the engine bay that can leak for leakage. Start it (It should crank shortly. Extended crank times is a red flag.), listen to it (From the cab, and from right in front of it with the hood open) It should sound like a big loud industrial sewing machine, or a really smooth quiet farm tractor, with no surging, hesitating, balking, skipping, missing, excess clanking, ect. After that, just check it out for generally good condition. I recommend getting an OASIS report on it, and CARFAX it, even if the previous owner has all the maintenance records.

Oh, by the way, the 7.3 is not going to ever be the "Fastest" Without you dumping truck loads of cash into it and basically turning it into a mutated version of itself. HOWEVER. It WILL pull the entire Earth out of its orbit around the sun if you want, and last for nearly ever.
Once again, welcome.

#27 ·
I think one of the diesel mags said the PMR's are in 2000 and newer 7.3's. Anyways, love my '99 (233,000 miles) and no major issues yet. It's also a comparatively simple engine (less parts=more reliable). Keep up with maintenance tho... injectors don't like old oil! Certainly not the fastest, and kinda sluggish under load, but has good cruising power @ stock setting... basic upgrades will help to remedy this tho. Great potential to be very fast and powerful if your pockets are deep enough.

#28 ·
Look for what you want, being more speed and reliability in what you can afford. Powerstroke or Duramax.. Get the best bang for your buck.
I have owned both and they were both great for me.
Ex wife still loves my duramax. Ugggggggggggg

#33 ·
Since you like the cummins at least a little bit and since you actually typed 600 HP and seem to want HP without spending too much then I think you would be better served with the cummins.

I know I know, this is a ford site but, if HP is a big deal then you will always wish you had bought the cummins.

#35 ·
stock vs. stock = I'll tow with my powerstroke all day.

Now that I've done a few mods... I can hold my own with the majority of the cummins that are out there. But for the money I've spent... I should have pulled the powerstroke, installed a 12v, and I would have been WELL over 600hp at this point.

#39 ·
yeah get a cummins if you wanna go fast for cheaper but be prepared to spend the dough on a fully built tranny. i would love to have a cummins but i love my 6.0 way too much. wish i had the coin to do a 12v swap. than i would have best of both worlds.

#42 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments. I might just save for a couple more years and do a ford cummins :). My dodge v10 only has 60k on it so it should be good for a while. This is definetly the best diesel forum i have ever been on

#43 ·
Your Dodge V10 should last for quite some time. There's a 2001 Dodge V10 on a local lot with 210,xxx miles on it. The dealer is asking $12,998 for it. With proper care your Dodge should go the distance. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.