Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

will a late turbo upgrade fix smoking problem

2K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  taylorking 
#1 ·
I installed stage 2 AD injectors and a 17* hpop now smokes like heck. Will a late turbo upgrade solve smoke issue?

#2 ·
What kind of late turbo are we talking about? What kind of truck do you have?

#4 ·
I think those are just about the same. You'd be better off doing an intercooler.

#8 ·
If your intercooled then you have a late 99. The early's were still the OBS style. But The lates had different injectors and all the same size turbos

EDIT::I did not know the early's were intercooled. How much smoke are we talking about? What chip are you running?

#17 ·
If your chip is off, the truck should be pushing stock amount of fuel

#18 ·
It is always possible the wastegate is opening at too low of a pressure and not getting as much air as you could. What kind of boost numbers are you seeing? I would think with stage 2 injectors and a chip as long as the HPOP is holding up you should be able to get it up at least close to 30psi.
-Aaron

#20 ·
26 is too low. You should really be hitting 32+

#22 ·
Take off is normal, but if it does it at cruising speed then you may have a boost leak

#25 ·
The main thing is turbo spool. Your turbo is spooling to slow which is typical of a 7.3L. These are towing motors will slow spooling turbos that spool at higher RPM to help with heavy towing. I doubt it will help much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.